Default Feeding Pollen sub powder inside the hive?

Reading George Imirie's pages and I quote, "Now you can understand why I start feeding 1:1 sugar syrup or 1:2 thinner sugar syrup + pollen substitute (I spread 3-4 tablespoons of Mann Lake Bee-Pro on frame tops) to my bees early in February."

Will they actually take it? I thought they would take it out as trash like they do with granulated sugar.
    Anyone have experience doing this?

Default Re: Feeding Pollen sub powder inside the hive?

>Will they actually take it?

Yes, but much of it will bee spread all over the bottom and make a mess and attracts bugs.

If you feed dry pollen open feed it. otherwise put in in patties or syrup.

I have seen and tried this too. Unfortunately, my bees seem to waste of good bit of dry sub when fed this way. A good patty seems to work much better IMHO.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Makes a mess as stated. I don't use pollen patties because of shb. I made some bucket feeders to open feed pollen substitute. My bees have been going nuts over it for a while now. When I introduce it to a new yard I put a bucket feeder of sugar syrup close by. I only have to do the syrup 1 time then the bees are all over the pollen substitute. We usually have pollen year round but I use the substitute to increase protein levels and compensate for wet rainy times.

Patties are cleaner but in my area, the timing is about right. I've seen warm days in late February or early March where workers are already bringing in pollen. We have so many posts here discussing feeding pollen / protein and we don't talk about timing often enough (IMHO). If my queens get the timing right, they are increasing brood in my area about that time so adding pollen in any form is not a bad thing. Too much earlier and it's a waste even if we "feel better" by feeding them. If it were me, I'd opt for patties but if I did't have the time to make them from my pollen or pollen sub, then I'd dry feed them and let them do as they may with it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I like to open feed pollen dry. But yes, in my experience they haul it out for trash if I put it dry in the hive...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I have even tried to keep it neat by placing on an index card over the frames; then they ignore it/haul the whole thing out, depending on the hive. Patty sandwich in wax paper is gold- but we are blessed not to have SHB.

Ravenseye, do you have a bio-indicator you go by for timing? Carpel buds on trees, average daily high, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor N8 View Post
    Ravenseye, do you have a bio-indicator you go by for timing? Carpel buds on trees, average daily high, etc.?
    Nope. I rough calculate it out. I expect "some" pollen in early March. So, in my area, I figure my queens are starting to ramp up brood by the end of January. If I want to start feeding, I do it then even if they initially ignore it. I'm not a huge fan of feeding pollen but if I do, I start in late January and don't stop until the bees are hauling in lots of it. In my opinion, starting and then stopping is far worse that not feeding at all.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"