Default Pollen Patty at install

Is there any downside to putting a small patty in just to help them get going , its all new foundation no drawn comb thought it might get them off to a better start , but sometimes there is a down side to the things we do .

Default Re: Pollen Patty at install

The biggest downside here on feeding pollen subs in the Spring/Summer is SHB. I wouldn't bother right now as there is plenty of natural pollen available and they will probably bypass it anyways.

Trees and vegetation are really starting to open up now so I guess I'll skip the patty's , just seems like they need more than just sugar to get started , but hopefully there is enough natural feed to keep them going.I don't want to get SHB started if they don't need the patty . Thanks K9

Watch them for a couple of days, but I would suspect that if you installed them around noonish, you would probably see pollen coming in by nightfall. I'm around 700 miles south of you, but mine will not touch the stuff if anything natural is available. SHB on the other hand, loves em. If you already have some on hand, by all means try half a patty. Good luck

I'd put on about a quarter of a patty. If they eat it right up, put on that much more. I feel it's better to give them a leg up (protein and syrup) rather than depend on a very small hive to manage to bring in enough supplies to start with, especially since they are on bare foundation.

A partial protein patty will hopefully stimulate the bees to get to work on a couple frames of comb for the queen to lay in, and with protein in the hive, she will lay as soon as there is a significant wall up on the cells.

Peter

I was told by the local bee supply store and the person I got my bees from that the pollen patties are a good idea here in the Colorado front range area as spring can bring crazy weather. This week alone we are experiencing so wild stuff. Two days ago it was 80 degrees, today the high was 34 degrees with snow and it will drop to the mid 20's tonight. And then this weekend it will climb back to the mid 60's. So giving the bees all they can use right now in the form of sugar syrup and pollen patties in a new hive helps get them going down the right path.

After I installed my bees I added a good hunk of patty on the top of the frames for easy access and they took right to it. Its now about half way gone. When I opened my hive for a big look about I saw lots of comb built, pollen stored, brood chambers filled very nicely and some honey being produced and set into the comb created in the outer frames. So everything looked like it was going along great for 2.5 weeks.

>Is there any downside to putting a small patty in just to help them get going

Yes. Short lived bees. Small Hive Beetles (SHB)

>, its all new foundation no drawn comb thought it might get them off to a better start

Pollen is not used to draw comb. Sugar is (nectar, syrup etc.).

> but sometimes there is a down side to the things we do .

There is almost always a down side to the things we do... just a question of where it balances out...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF