Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Canadian border open?

Question for Canadian beekeepers: if packages were allowed, do you think there would be a demand for queenless packages?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    Question for Canadian beekeepers: if packages were allowed, do you think there would be a demand for queenless packages?
    I would buy packages with queens
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Where are Canadians currently allowed to import queens from?
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Queens are imported from Hawaii - there referred to as Kona queens, so must be big island. Our packages are imported from New Zealand. A 1 kg package cost $143 two years ago. Queens were $26 last year.
    Last edited by mgolden; 05-01-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Error should be 1 kg which is 2.2 pounds
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Queens are imported from Hawaii - there referred to as Kona queens, so must be big island. Our packages are imported from New Zealand. A 2 kg package cost $143 two years ago. Queens were $26 last year.
    I suppose a $3 QC and $70 packages isn't attractive enough for Canada to consider lifting the border. Even with Kona Queens and New Zealand packages, isn't a certain amount of genetic stagnation a problem? From below the border it looks like lifting the border would be a win-win situation for Canada.... but then again I have not walked in your shoes.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

genetic stagnation? what are you talking about? We have queens coming in from all around the world, lots of genetic diversity here,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    genetic stagnation? what are you talking about? We have queens coming in from all around the world, lots of genetic diversity here,
    I was assuming the previous responder was correct and it was only Kona... Sorry....

A lot of Cali queens make it here every year
    www.stepplerfarms.com

IMHO if the border were to open, supply and demand as well as red tape would probably drive the package price considerably above $70.

Queens make it from New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Hawaii, California.

Jean-Marc

Canada would be flooded with american honey colonies, and half of canadian beekeepers would be in california driving down polination contracts. + what Allen said about package prices. Lose Lose. No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    "why would allowing packages across equal access for american migratory beekeepers? " It shouldn't but you should look at the NAFTA agreement, the US might ask for an open border as a condition of supplying packages
    That is what I was thinking. Opening the border to package bees only will cause the price of packages to rise in the U.S. This will put a strain on U.S. beekeepers therefore the need for more summer territory.

And I would think that Canadians would insist on opening the border to Canadian pollinators who would lower the pollination fees in the Almonds and probably the eastern coast blueberries. Of course, there usually is a flaw in isolationist economics somewhere...

How many 2 pound packages can bees off the almonds average? At best I'm would guess 3 per hive. I would think producing packages could be more lucrative than chasing honey in the Dakotas and a lot less trouble. Should access to southern packages be allowed, I wouldn't assume Canadian honey producers won't overwinter their bees. The number of hives on the prairies has regressed and stagnated since the border closure. Increased access to replacement stock is vital to maintain and grow our potential. With 600,000 colonies just to the south of our border, it is foolish to think we're keeping out any potential problems, they're all here at the moment. For example, last summer, strong southern winds blew up leaf hoppers which in turn brought us yellow aster disease which decimated a vast portion of the prairie canola crops. Hive beetles were found in operations in southern MB. The mite is here and is the biggest problem by far.

Letting packages back in to Canada seems like a good idea to me. After all, the USA is open to Canadian honey. Seems we should be able to sell you packages.It worked ok for many years.

Opening the border to hives may not be such a great idea. If the US/Canada border were to open to hive movements, Mexico could also demand access to the almond orchards and Canadian prairies. The drug cartels would love that.

To me, it appears that it is mostly a political issue. And since most Canadians seem against the idea..... and since most USA types, don't really seem to care either way, it appears that little is likely to change. Unless, of course, there is some immediate problem.... like insufficient bees to pollinate the BC blueberries. Is there truth to that rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    The drug cartels would love that.
    ha ha ha ha
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think you have to look back to when the border closed and why, somebody in the powers to be, looked at the logistics of all those packages moving on farm trucks, not to many semi's back then.The potential of a crash and possible Africanized bees involved.The outflow of Canadian dollars when apparently bees could be wintered successfully in a normal year.Varroa had landed in Florida and was spreading like wildfire.It was not known how far the African bee would spread or how much it would become part of the American beekeeping scene.
    Somebody or persons took a deep look at the industry as it was and said...this is crazy,and the border closed

Funny how SC would know about a shortage of honeybees on blueberry pollination in BC. There is truth to that not rumor. Some growers behaved as if bees were like pizza's... just call and presto 2 days later there they are. The shortage is multifactorial but mostly brought about by the growers. Better planning on their part, fostering long term relationships, insuring good returns on investments for beekeepers and presto no shortage.

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Funny how SC would know about a shortage of honeybees on blueberry pollination in BC.
    Jean-Marc
    I wonder if you would be surprised at how many Canadians spend their winters and retire around here? Canadian topics come up more often than one might think. Ever since you guys got those Americans (Embassy) out of Iran during the 80's, Canadians can do no wrong around here....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast