Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Canadian border open?

Is it true they opened the border? If so is it packages only?

Default Re: Canadian border open?

If true, that would make for some interesting news. At best... I bet it is just packages... if anything.

If it were wide-open.... It would make a nice place for some southern bees to spend the summer.... I wonder which would be better... Manitoba or Saskatchewan? Just get out of there before the snow flies...
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

sure hope so, its getting to crowded in N.Y.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Just a rumor for now.

Nick can you offer some more info. on where you heard the rumor and under what terms? I read recently that Blueberry growers in Canada were looking into opening the border so that they could source US bees at a cheaper costs for pollination. Would be a game changer.

Border is not YET open to package bees.....patience lads.....very high losses in many parts of Canada,and growing blueberry pollination in Quebec and maritime' s. Meeting 's are being held, livelihoods are at stake, a bee business without bees is not a viable business.
    It should have never been closed in the first place, it only bought us time in dealing with varroa and the African bee was never a threat.
    Bureaucrat bungling ,the powers to be ,knew nothing ,feared the African bee and only that some beekeepers were successfully wintering their whole outfit and getting huge crops to boot.It first closed in Eastern Canada then a year later in the west....it may open the same way and just as fast as it closed. The border will I bet remain closed to bees on comb, same rule as was when it closed
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 04-30-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: info added

The boys up in peace river area are pushing (suit) pretty hard to get packages in.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Just get out of there before the snow flies...
    will it ever stop!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

How long has the boarder been closed to bees on comb?

What will change if packages are allowed across, if anything other than more sales for southern package producers and better availability of bees for Canadian producers?

Irwin, do you know why there is huge opposition from Canadian producers to allowing the boarder to open to US packages? I do not understand why there is so much opposition,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Irwin, do you know why there is huge opposition from Canadian producers to allowing the boarder to open to US packages? I do not understand why there is so much opposition,
    I'm not Irwin, but I have been doing a little reading on this subject - ever since I read "Bad Beekeeping" by Miksa. Today's objections by Canadians seem to be based on a belief that SHB and AHB will follow an opening of the border. Highly unlikely, I would think.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I believe at some point of time in the past , early 1970's-60's American colonies were used in the Maritime 's to pollinate blueberries, an American company ,Bragg Lumber worked pollination on both sides of the border,permits were issued, pollination done, bees returned stateside

"do you know why there is huge opposition from Canadian producers to allowing the boarder to open to US packages?"

Be-careful for what wish for ,sometimes you get more than what you bargained for. US honey producers would love to have access to the vast Canadian land mass and its bountiful honey flows, and would probably allow Canadians access to Almond pollination .More regulation , would accompany this, most provinces do not have registered beeyards like Montana and the Dakotas and a limited distance between those beeyards.I believe the figure was 600,000 colonies in North Dakota on registered sites.
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 04-30-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: info added

why would allowing packages across equal access for american migratory beekeepers?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Today's objections by Canadians seem to be based on a belief that SHB and AHB will follow an opening of the border. Highly unlikely, I would think.
    SHB are already in the southern Ontario fruit growing area.

"why would allowing packages across equal access for american migratory beekeepers? " It shouldn't but you should look at the NAFTA agreement, the US might ask for an open border as a condition of supplying packages

Just one county with a heavy quarantine zone around it, nothing in or out that hasn't been frozen in a reefer for at least 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    "why would allowing packages across equal access for american migratory beekeepers? " It shouldn't but you should look at the NAFTA agreement, the US might ask for an open border as a condition of supplying packages
    and thats the crutch of all of the opposition. I see.

Im in favour of bringing in packages, but I dont feel loosing our forage territory is worth bringing in packages,
    hope the boys know what they are doing

At least we have a government with some balls right now
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I dont feel loosing our forage territory is worth bringing in packages
    Agreed! Is this an example of short-term gain vs. long term pain?
    Happiness comes from within

Prior to the Border Closing.... were there many USA- Bees north of the border foraging for Canadian honey? I have no clue.

Hey Irwin, I like your way of thinking. I run bees along an 80 mile stretch of Canadian border. When making locations the game plan is the closer to the border the better many of which are just a few yards away. I've often thought it's just a tease to the untapped potential north of the USA. ehh! Afterall there's no comparison in the honey making potential of a package and a parent hive running wide open. I can't be the only one with this crazy idea. Lol.

P.S. no offense with the ehh my dads side are all Canadian.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast