Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Opening Hive

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I opened up the hive for the first time this spring and found the bottom board to be covered in dead bees. These bees where starting to get moldy and the mold was growing onto the bottom frames. The rest of the hive looks good and health and the queen is doing well. Should I expect this many dead bees and that much mold each spring?

#4 ·
You have mold because there was too much moisture / humidity in the hive over the winter. You will continue to have this problem until you find a way to vent that humidity. Wet bees are more at risk of dying than cold bees.

If you feel that a simple top vent is not what you want, some people use a "quilt box" style with leaves or wood shavings acting as a partial barrier.

#5 ·
Hi John,
I am on the South Shore of NS in Auburndale. And I wintered my hives with no wrappings and a top vent with a vent hole in the front of the hive with a reducer on the front, the top cover was insulated with styrofoam and a feed bag under the foam . I had no mold in the hives at all. This being my first winter for my bees , next winter will be different , I think i will wrap them and everything else will be the same , also thinking about using 2 deeps and a medium , instead of just 2 deeps.
Good luck

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.