Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When is the optimal time to receive nucs?

973 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HeffsBStuff 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I live in southern Illinois and I have purchased two nucs from a beekeep a couple of hours away. I haven't picked them up yet as the guy I'm buying them from wants to have good pollen/nectar flow before he releases these nucs to ensure a strong start. I appreciate this consideration, but my question is what should I look for in my area to qualify for this.... I have apple and cherry trees blooming and the dandelions are blooming. I am seeing quite a bit of bee activity on these plants but I'm not sure what else I need to look for. We have had a lousy wet and cold spring here so this has delayed things. OK, my question as a newbee is: What are some good signs to let me know I am ready to receive these nucs?

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. I'm very anxious to get started but I also want the bees to have a strong start. :scratch:

#3 ·
If you're seeing blooming trees and dandelions than I think you're probably ok. Another consideration is temperature, it needs to be warm enough to transfer and inspect so you know what you're getting. As was already stated, you can talk to other beeks in your area but if you don't have any to talk to then the plants and trees are your bet. He may just be allowing them a little more time to build up before he gives you them. It could be because he is either actually concerned and wants you to receive a good, strong nuc or because he split them weak and is letting them get to where they should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.