Default Could I feed wax to my bees?

I'll be making some splits tomorrow with 4 frames of bees (2 brood, 2 honey/pollen) and a laying queen.

I only have a few frames with wax on them completely, the rest will be new, so they'll have to build them up.

There's a honey house nearby which my brother works at and I do sometimes as well and a lot of honey is thrown out because it has too much wax (customers don't like it).

If I collect it and feed it to my bees (in those black plastic feeders), could they use the wax to build on the frames, or would they just throw it out? (It's like 50% honey/50% wax)

Default Re: Could I feed wax to my bees?

They will chuck the wax.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I have a 90 mm space (made the box) above my hive and put the cappings in. I use the bottom 90 mm of a 15 liter to put the cappings in. The bees clean up most of the honey. I stir the cappings every couple of day. The cappings then become very dry. I think they do actually use some of the wax. The wax when melted is usually very good. and I have a good recovery rate.

I would be cautious about feeding someone else's honey to my bees. You eat their honey, render the wax and don't take honey from your hives until there is a good surplus. Mead is another good option.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

>There's a honey house nearby which my brother works at and I do sometimes as well and a lot of honey is thrown out because it has too much wax (customers don't like it).

I would not feed it to your bees, good way to get AFB and other disease, I bet all that honey/wax is from commercial hives all treated with antibiotic that suppresses AFB not cures it. The more hives the honey comes from the greater chance of spreading something. And could possibly include CCD.

I would keep every bit you can get strain it out, there are filters that fit in 5 gal buckets that do a good job. Nice clean honey when done (for you to enjoy). Wash the wax and make mead with the water. Render the wax.

>could they use the wax to build on the frames, or would they just throw it out?
    They do use a very small amount to build bridge comb on top bars, they don't carry it around the hive to where they need it. It just causes extra work for them to hull it out as trash.