Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nuc are doing good so far this year! ~ Photos

David:
    The splits were made up at the end of March, during the couple weeks of good weather we had.

Johnny:
    That cost includes everything. It is 1/2" plywood. As soon as they're painted, they hold up quite awhile. I consider them to be a much better alternative to a wax-coated cardboard nuc. Here are some plans: http://www.beesource.com/files/5framenuc_coates.pdf

Ben,

What types of bees are in those nucs? I keep overwintered honey to stick in the ones I did this year but a feeder is more reliable to have around. I've found the Mann Lake boxes to be a little too wide too, maybe follow ur in your footsteps, I have some free 1/2" ply anyways. See if I can get a total of 5 nucs off one queen in less than 2 months.... if this wind lets up before the cells hatch anyways....

6 are Italians, and the rest are Carnis.

Thanks for the link Ben. I'm going to make some with my boys this weekend.

In order to make the 3/4 inch front, did you just cut the front board 3/4 shorter and install it flush up top?

I just cut the fronts 3/4" shorter than the backs, and then when assembling, I just place a scrap of 3/4" wood as a measuring block where the entrance would be, and then glue and staple the front into place.

Ben, I am curious. If you buy the packages how do you make any money putting them in a nuc and selling it?

I buy the packages wholesale @ $90 each, and then figure in my time, labor, feed/syrup, materials, etc. and then sell the nucs a month later for $160. I always sell out, no extras.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    I buy the packages wholesale @ $90 each, and then figure in my time, labor, feed/syrup, materials, etc. and then sell the nucs a month later for $160. I always sell out, no extras.
    To show the difference in prices. I buy my packages for $90 this includes shipping to me. I don't sell the packages but keep them to increase my numbers for splits later. I do sell nucs I make from splits for $125 each in boxes like yours with no exchange of frames, etc. I can't get packages shipped to me before May 15 though. The numbers would work for me if you get 2 nucs per package to sell.
    What size packages do you use?

I use 3# packages; they are delivered to me on around the 26th of April. The $90 I pay includes any shipping/transportation costs. No frame exchange here either, and I give a $7 refund if the box is returned.

Really, $160 for a nuc, that's great. If I send you money to buy more packages you want to sell nucs for me I'll split the profits with you 50/50 since your doing all the work....lol

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    If I send you money to buy more packages you want to sell nucs for me I'll split the profits with you 50/50 since your doing all the work....lol
    Really, would you?

We got 2 ft of snow this last Tuesday/Wednesday, and it's warm and melting off today. Took a peek at the nucs and they're looking fabulous.

I am in Canada and my packages and nucs are costing about the same ~$185 Cdn Hopefully I can build up some populations and split them over the next few seasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12