Default swarm cells on bottom chamber?

Just curious if it's at all common to find swarm cells in the bottom brood chamber. I know it's considered common to find them in the second chamber just below the excluder. I ask though because I've been advised that a good practice for checking for swarm cells every 10-14 days is to just lift up the second chamber to see if there are swarm cells on the bottom bars, but to lift the bottom chamber every 10-14 days to make sure just seems even more invasive because you have to take apart the entire hive every time before lifting that last box up.

Default Re: swarm cells on bottom chamber?

Most of the time, my bees have made swarm cells in the upper brood box. Typically in the middle to lower half of the frames. Occasionally they will make a queen cell on the bottom of the frame. In my hives, it is doubtful you could see the majority of swarm cells by lifting up a brood chamber. IMO, you really need to pull brood frames and look at each frame.

Shane

Default Re: swarm cells on bottom chamber?

>I've been advised that a good practice for checking for swarm cells every 10-14 days is to just lift up the second chamber to see if there are swarm cells on the bottom bars, but to lift the bottom chamber every 10-14 days to make sure just seems even more invasive because you have to take apart the entire hive every time before lifting that last box up.

IMO, that's too much work. What are you going to do if you find them? Better to keep the brood nest open...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF