Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Moving Bees That are Bearding

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FlowerPlanter 
#1 ·
Wonder if it is a problem to move bees that are bearded on one hive to another hive 100 yards away!

#3 ·
If your bees are bearding it is either a ventilation issue and the hive is too hot or its is full of bees and honey and will most likely swarm. If you move your hive such a short distance the foragers will return to the old spot the next day and you'll have a big mess. I know one beekeeper who wanted to move his hives to the other side of his property and accomplished this by moving the hive six feet every three to four days. The other way is to move the hive several miles away then move it back a few weeks later to the new spot.

#5 ·
I was guessing they might fight when combined as the bearded ones are older. I have an observation hive that is over flowing and don't want to open it and move frames of nurse bees. Also I avoid removing frames during the brood cycle for drones this time of year (as the drone cells are at the bottom of frames and killed when pulled apart.) Guess I will cross my fingers that they swarm when I am home so I don't loose them.

thanks for your replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.