Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Day Two Re: First Package Received and Hived! (Long, as usual. )

John, you're quite welcome! I know it helps me to see what others have done or seen, so I figure I owe it to the community to share my experiences. Perhaps we'll have an opportunity to visit each other and see each other's hives.

Shannon, I obtained the hive tool from the same company that makes our hives, Bee Thinking. You can get one of your own here: http://www.beethinking.com/ultimate-top-bar-hive-tool/

Regards,
    Tom

Tom,
    If you find yourself in the area, send me an email an I would enjoy showing you the hive. I used to turkey hunt out your way, if I find another spot to hunt I will have an excuse to head that way.
    I am curious to find out what your bees did with the comb that fell to the bottom of the hive. I had some comb (nectar) drop when I was removing the queen cage last week. I checked on the hive today - through the window and the bees seem to be attaching it to the false back. I am going to have to open the hive and place it outside.
    -John

Default Re: An Update Re: First Package Received and Hived! (Long, as usual. )

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Yankee View Post
    As you might expect, I went out to check on the activity around the hive as soon as I got home from work this evening. There didn't seem to be a lot of activity around the hive; some bees buzzing around the entrance, a few coming and going. I went around the back of the hive and opened the observation window because, you know, I just couldn't resist peeking in!

Inside I found that both feed bottles were down by about a third (and with fairly equal levels, too.) Even better, an inverted shark-fin shaped comb extending down at least six inches! Woohoo! I tried to take a photo, but one thing that hadn't occurred to us when getting ready to hive the package was to dust the inside of the window after the hive had sat out there empty for a month or so. Here's a poor photo, but the best I have for now. The comb can be seen just beyond the
    cheap led flashlights in the photo:

Lovely!

Here's another lousy photo.

One down side to having observation windows in the side of a Kenyan TBH: you have to get down lower than the window to see up into it. Not so easy for some of us! But worth the effort.

Cheers,

Tom
    Awesome pics dude. Yes activity seems to be bit less but still great work done. What is the latest advancements in the project? Sorry I was not able to read entire thread..
    Last edited by JacobMathis; 05-23-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jefowler View Post
    Tom,
    If you find yourself in the area, send me an email an I would enjoy showing you the hive. I used to turkey hunt out your way, if I find another spot to hunt I will have an excuse to head that way.
    I am curious to find out what your bees did with the comb that fell to the bottom of the hive. I had some comb (nectar) drop when I was removing the queen cage last week. I checked on the hive today - through the window and the bees seem to be attaching it to the false back. I am going to have to open the hive and place it outside.
    -John
    Thanks, John, I will! I'd enjoy seeing another TBH in action and you're always welcome should you make it down here. Sorry I can't offer any turkey hunting to you; we don't have that much land. :-)

That particular piece of comb I removed from the hive. We did let a piece of comb that we'd cut from a bar (a bit of cross-comb) fall to the floor of the hive and bees were all over it as it was filled with pollen and nectar.

Update coming up!

Cheers,
    Tom

Default Hive One Update May 23 2013 (Long, as usual. )

May 23, 2013 Day 25

Today Rhonda and I went out to assess things, expecting to see some changes in the hive. Looking through the window we see about seven combs, but not necessarily a lot more bees. Of course, that would be due to the ongoing losses as our package ages out.

Opening the hive we found we still have carpenter ants. I’d put a plastic container with the jelly/water/boric acid mix at the base of one of the trees they are living in and after a day one inside the hive itself. Looking down into the hive, among the ants I saw bee parts. Not good. I decided I would spray where they are nesting in the trees, since the bees don’t go around the base of the trees.

We went looking through the comb. We found lots of empty brood cells…

…and an emerging bee! (Sorry about the slightly blurry shot; I need more practice using my camera while wearing a veil.

We spotted the queen (Queen Bea, named by our granddaughter whose middle name is Beatrice). Can you spot her?

Here she is again! This was the first time we spotted her since we released her into the hive. We hadn’t been looking hard for her, though, because it was obvious we had a great queen in there!

This hive has very few capped drone brood, but we do see a lot of drones from the original package so I think that’s why—they feel they have enough drones for now. It is also a very calm hive. We generally do not need to use smoke and nothing seems to bother them. We’re pretty happy with them.