Default My girls left me!

Well the swarm I caught 13 days ago seems to have left me.

Yesterday morning they seemed fine. Watched them for awhile coming and going as usual. Late Saturday evening, I walked past the hive and noticed that there was very little activity. A bee here and there, but nothing like it had been. This morning I walked past and again, not much going on and I noticed a few dead bees around the entrance to the hive.

Came home from church and I grabbed the smoker and went to take a look inside. Maybe a hundred or so bees in there and that was it. I am thinking my repairing my mistakes a few days ago upset them more than I thought. The comb I rubber banded to the frames was there, but looks like the heat got to it in it's fragile state- was all bowed and droopy looking. I took a closer look at the comb they had drawn on the foundation and it was actually drawn out on the frame with a slight gap between the comb and foundation. Guess they did not like the foundation at all.

I looked around the nearby trees, but found nothing. There is a creek with a nice greenbelt on it a few hundred yards away. I may go over there and search around for them.

Sucks, but there will be more swarms out there. Just have to keep looking. May hit up a local beekeeper for a frame of brood next time I get a swarm. That may encourage them to stay.

Default Re: My girls left me!

"Moma always told me never chase after buses and never chase after women both of them will leave you in the end" The Marlboro Man Sorry to hear that well at least you did not pay for them.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.