Default building a feeder for TBH

ok Ive watched all the u-tube videos, gone online and researched varied types of feeders. I am putting it into a top bar hive and am realy considering just a platform with a one gallon baggy full of syrup. easy to change out , no chance of breaking it carrying it out, etc.
    anyone have ideas on this
    I will be using a different type for winter feeding-any suggestions on that?
    am newbe keeper- first bees mid May--wet spring nothing really even blooming yet-zone 5b

Default Re: building a feeder for TBH

As I recall, you built your hive in the kitchen, so since you have the tools available, consider modifying a follower board to accept a boardman style feeder.

A boardman feeder is an upturned jar style feeder. You can either buy an existing feeder base and cut a slot in a follower board to fit, or make the whole thing yourself.

You can also make a suitable plug for the slot so you can use the follower board for its original purpose without the feeder.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

We use a baby chick feeder with some sticks floating in it, at the suggestion of a member a local beekeeping club. It's working great. You can screw in a mason jar or spaghetti sauce jar.

I simply took a piece of 1x6 about 6" long and beveled both edges to match the sides of my hive, and then cut a hole with a jig saw the size of a jar lid. The board sits about 3/4" from the bottom of the hives. I also have the followers stopped 1" from the bottom. They are easy to refill, and can be placed anywhere in hive.

I used to use plastic entrance feeder that i had rigged up under a modified follower board as Rader suggested, but it seemed to leak an awful lot and was difficult to refill without making a mess.
    The easiest/most economical solution I have found is a small bucket full of syrup with pine needles floating in it (i now just use the plastic bucket from the above mentioned feeder) if you have a screened bottom board, you may need to cut a square of plywood with angled edges (like picnut said) to hold it off of the screen.
    dead simple, very effective, cheap.

I prefer the simple feeder recommended by Wyatt Magnum in his book Top-Bar Beekeeping: Wisdom and Pleasure Combined, a simple small garbage pail with some sticks floating in it. I added some screen on the inside so the bees have a better surface to walk down, it is very effective in stopping them from falling in.