Default Colony in a tree a recent swarm? Worth trying to capture?

I came across a colony of bees that made a hive in the hollow of a standing ash tree situated in the woods on my property. I don't think that the colony is a result of a swarm from one of my own hives, but I won't know this for sure until I am able to get into my hives sometime this week. It could be a feral hive or a swarm from another bee yard.

The entrance to the hive is a crack near the base of the tree. The entrance looks to me like it may be coated with propolis, as there is a orange-ish substance around the entrance.

A couple of questions:

1) Given what I've described, does this hive seem more likely to be a fairly well-established hive, as opposed to a swarm that may have occurred in the last few weeks?

2) Would this colony by worth trying to capture, or would trying to do so from a living tree be quite daunting and not worth the effort?

Thanks,
    Rob

Default Re: Colony in a tree a recent swarm? Worth trying to capture?

Quote Originally Posted by rmdurkin View Post
    1) Given what I've described, does this hive seem more likely to be a fairly well-established hive, as opposed to a swarm that may have occurred in the last few weeks?

2) Would this colony by worth trying to capture, or would trying to do so from a living tree be quite daunting and not worth the effort?
    1. Really would be hard to say how well established the hive is.
    2. Sounds like a great scenario for a trapout. Search on the boards for Cleo Hogan's method. Works great.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by rmdurkin View Post

rmdurkin... Of course it is worth it if you want more bees. Send me an e-mail cchoganjr@scrtc and I will send you the info to trap a couple of starts out of the tree this year, and then you can trap 3 or 4 colonies each year thereafter.

cchoganjr

Shane, thanks for your reply and for the suggestion. I found some info on Mr. Hogan's trap method and it looks like it would work for the hive I found.

Cleo, I just sent you an email. I would like to capture this colony if I can, although I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks!
    Rob

You are most welcome,

Trapouts are fun... if they are close by. Non-invasive, not messy, not hot, you don't have to worry about being sued and you don't have a lot of cleanup.

Shane