Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Australian Bee Imports in 2014?????

Would those losses be mites, or can't take a cold winter?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

straight up queen failures, I dont know what is wrong in that department, but it has not changed in 10 years

I have quite a few arriving shortly, they are scheduled to be re queened in three weeks, it sucks but what choice does one have with no other options.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Unfortunately for them they don't decide when the ban get lifted.

The Border of Canada was closed to US packages in 1986 to prevent the spread of mites. Canada confirmed Varroa in 1989 and 24 years later they are still trying to get that ban lifted.
    Were the border between Canada and the US opened to bees going both ways then Canadian Pollinators would feel the impact of pollinators from the US. We would also have Canadian beekeepers Wintering in our Southern States again. Apparently Canadian Authorities think this a bad thing.

Living on the border w/ Ontario and Quebec I know that bees can go into Canada from the US by swarms. A fence line will not keep bees from going where they wish. Quebec and Ontario have Varroa and SHB, so I don't see the point in keeping the Border closed.

Rumor has it that there have been cases wherein a truck load of bees coming out of Maine went into Canada by accident and was allowed to re-enter the US here in NY. For what that says.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I believe you are already getting them through Canada.

Good bees chemical free , but absolutely no resistance to varroa

Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    Blueberry growers just filed a $200 million suit alleging crop damage due to the ban on imported American bees.
    Can you reference where you learned this? This is big news! Thanks

Maybe the lawsuit in this article. http://www.theprogress.com/news/205877041.html
    It mentions beekeepers filing suit, but doesnt mention growers.

>>Honeyview Farms in Rosedale is financially contributing to a lawsuit against the Canadian government for $200 million in damages from banning the import of bee packages. Filed in Dec. 2012, the suit is signed by three beekeepers, including Surrey's Honeybea Centre, and two in other provinces.<<

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    Can you reference where you learned this? This is big news! Thanks
    Matt, I was referring to the article loggermike posted. http://www.theprogress.com/news/205877041.html
    Last edited by Barry; 06-06-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: off topic
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have quite a few arriving shortly, they are scheduled to be re queened in three weeks, it sucks but what choice does one have with no other options.
    Your bees get a rather unique winter, the life of lazerus in an air conditioned shed. Do you propogate at all from those that come out of the shed in good shape ?

>>Your bees get a rather unique winter, the life of lazerus in an air conditioned shed. Do you propogate at all from those that come out of the shed in good shape ?<<

nope, I buy from Cali, they perform fantastically up here
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    It's not the Apis cerana...it's the Tropilaelaps
    As far as I can find out there is no Tropilaelaps in Australia?

Not yet. But its likely to come in someday,along with varroa on those Asian honey bee swarms that keep jumping ship.
    Believe me, when you get varroa, your world will change. That is, if bees are your livelihood.

there is no tropilaelaps in australia as well as the only cerna is located to the north of us in northern australia . it is confined to a narrow strip of rainforest which is surrounded by dry tropics which is like a sahara desert compared to rain forest country .cerna does not seem to have the ability to survive in these conditions as well as mellifera also . the only bees in these areas are old english black which came over around captain cook time and are a very hardy small cranky bee which just survives in limited numbers

And will disappear if you ever get varroa mites in your country.

AMM's (old English black) used to be the scourge of beekeeping in New Zealand, getting rid of them was one of the benefits of varroa mites.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by ozbee View Post
    there is no tropilaelaps in australia as well as the only cerna is located to the north of us in northern australia . it is confined to a narrow strip of rainforest which is surrounded by dry tropics which is like a sahara desert compared to rain forest country .cerna does not seem to have the ability to survive in these conditions as well as mellifera also . the only bees in these areas are old english black which came over around captain cook time and are a very hardy small cranky bee which just survives in limited numbers
    ozbee - you may have to explain the distances to our friends from the US.
    I had a friend from Brazil travelling from Brisbane to Cairns where cerna has been found - she could not believe the distances with " nothing" in between.
    Varroa will arrive - probably some idiot bringing in a queen...

Had an interesting flight across Oz once, a few years ago when there was such big fires the smoke was causing pollution in NZ. Anyhow while flying across miles of nothingness, we'd sometimes cross the fires, an awesome sight from the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Had an interesting flight across Oz once, a few years ago when there was such big fires the smoke was causing pollution in NZ. Anyhow while flying across miles of nothingness, we'd sometimes cross the fires, an awesome sight from the plane.
    Indeed! You really understand how big this place is when you fly over it for about 4 hrs coming from Sydney and flying N-W.
    I went to a Mead work shop about 1 hrs north from here. Even then - just a short distance from the coast, there is so much land and forest with just an odd house...and so many places one could place a good number of hives with a good mix of flora and plenty of water.
    To be young again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12