Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Default Re: Going Treatment Free - step 1

Like, you don't know?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    if they post in some other place.
    I posted in a thread on treatment-free beekeeping, you know that. I am one. He isn't. Yet he feels no compunction about posting in the treatment-free forum in threads not related to commercial beekeeping.

The only equivalence is that we both complain about the other. What's the problem?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

If I said I wasn't free to do something,...
    Again, I didn't say that. Which word are you missing?

Like, you don't know?
    Yeah, I don't know. I was under the impression that the Treatment-Free Beekeeping forum was for talking about treatment-free beekeeping. I operated as a moderator under that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Again, I didn't say that. Which word are you missing?
    It's the old word games again Sol. Implying something, then when called, claiming you didn't actually say that, word for word, and whatever. But that's not really honest. Is it.

Bottom line, you DO post on the commercial forum. Which means you obviously DO feel free to post there.

But hey. This argument is so pathetic I don't even know how I'm in it. I will say I've been moderated myself which is never good at the time but I've come to see that the moderator has his reasons for the way he runs the site. He is always being told how he should do his job but end of day he runs his site his way, accept it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Again, Alistair, which words are you missing?

Read up while you can folks, most of this will be gone by sundown.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

You are likely right Jim. Word games and dross.

And Sol, call me Oldtimer.

Well no, don't get so sore.

I saw some advice given that was perfectly sound, and had nothing to do with treating / not treating. But you said the guy shouldn't post here cos he's not a TF beekeeper.
    If that was the case, then the OP would of never been able to start this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Read up while you can folks, most of this will be gone by sundown.
    a side effect of funky weather, we should all be out in the beeyards!
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Word games and dross.

And Sol, call me Oldtimer.
    It's interesting how you use the charge of "word games" to cover your lack of reading comprehension. They're just words, no games involved. Remember yesterday when you claimed that someone said they had lost no hives after going treatment free and you conveniently left out the words "to pestilence" even though you quoted them, just like you did here today? When you leave out words in the middle of a sentence, it changes the meaning. We cannot be held responsible for your inability to read what's on the screen. My words speak for themselves. If you would like clarification, simply ask. Don't continue to tell me I said something when the words are right there on the screen where everyone can see.

And call me Solomon or Mr. Parker, not Sol, not Parker, and not anything else. I have the responsibility for my words to appear under my own real name.

just like old times.

i mentioned once in a pm that my favorite members of beesource were also my nemeses.

and mark, step 2 should probably be to maintain a sense of humor.

the sun just popped out, going to check on the bees.

still a good thread, many thanks to all for posting.

So, apparently, Step 2 is arguing about nothing related to the subject of the Thread.

"feel", the missing word is "feel".
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Back on topic, if you want to put actual steps on it, I would put ordering bees somewhere around step 5 or maybe even later. In fact, I'd recommend trying to catch swarms before ordering things. Why take shortcuts? Read, research, visit a beekeeper, work that person's bees a few times, read, ask questions in forums, buy or make equipment (make being preferred if possible), assemble equipment, catch swarms, and if that doesn't work, order bees.

Did I take all these steps? No, no one told me about any steps.

Since one wants to do this treatment-free, one ought to consult treatment-free sources, beekeepers, books, forums, websites, etc.

As far as moving from treating to not treating, never done it. You'll have to ask someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Is this really necessary David? I have never corrected your spelling or grammar, much less anyone else's. Though I feel brain cells dying when I see someone misspell "hobbyist." I simply disagree with how the term malnutrition is commonly used in reference to beekeeping. A malnourished (but not starving) child is a totally different thing than a malnourished (but not starving) bee. They are totally different things. Maybe you can see how I might not agree with the same word being used for both. No straw men about correcting your spelling and grammar are necessary.
    What started that particular part of this spiral is when you said something to the effect that it bothered you when people misuse the word malnutrition when what they really mean is starvation. Which implied that I didn't understand either what I was saying or what I meant - or was actually using the word incorrectly. None of that was the case, nor did it really have anything to do with the subject or content of the thread. It was merely a criticism of my ability to communicate - in the same family of poor "netiquette" as picking at spelling and punctuation IMHO. My "Straw Man" was an attempt to communicate to you in a non confrontational way that I didn't appreciate it. I probably took it too personally and responded in a sarcastic manner.

I suppose you could say that I was being passive aggressive. If this were a forum on psychology.

David, I'm sorry if something came off wrong. This is a text based medium. It's better to assume people are implying nothing.

I said what I meant. I disagree with the way people use the word "malnutrition." No criticism of your netiquette or your grammar or your ability to communicate or your spelling or your punctuation or your sarcasm.

I hope we can move ahead in this new context because you're going to be finding me disagreeing with a whole lot of stuff and it won't have anything to do with you personally unless it's directed at you by name (which as you see here I have no compunctions about doing).

I don't even recall if you're the one who misspelled hobbyist. I don't hold any grudges. In fact, to be honest, that's how this whole argument got started. I decided I'd be charitable and remove everyone from my ignore list. How naive could I have been? My fault. I know full well that all these blow ups here are in large part my fault. I'm not in denial anymore. It really is me.

Very good. Thanks. I suspect we could have many enjoyable and friendly discussions if we were to ever meet in person. I hope that happens. I really am an awful speller so it probably was me.

David, I agree. I really am a decent guy, I just have a problem staying out of arguments.

I have no doubt that you are a decent guy and a knowledgeable beekeeper. I can relate - I have a hole bitten through my own tongue.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast