Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Default Re: Going Treatment Free - step 1

WLC, he's how that 'GAMBLE' has went. Absolute ZERO feeding, treating and I have several ZERO loss yards. Overall 8% average losses and 1000%+ increase since 2007.

Swarm in May is worth a load if hay, swarm in June is worth a silver spoon. Swarm in July let it fly, but July splits are now the shitz. Ya, Mel just loves seeing me at a meeting..LOL

So you are an MDA splitter disciple? Right?

You do feed frames of stored honey and pollen in March. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ives View Post
    Whoever said I work construction full time and tend hives... False.....
    That would have been me. I based it on the following information given in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    he handles 150 hives and works a full time job as a carpenter, I believe.
    Guess I should pay less attention to wild claims.

Who ever said they got 150# off a single deep hive. You are in a GOOD honey area and I would get 1000# off one of these hives.........
    Well one thing you don't struggle with, is an ego.

Have you ever got 150 lb's off a single brood box hive? It's not hard in a reasonable area, it's only 2 deeps. I'll be interested in the how to get a thousand pounds off one video though. Ever done that or is it talk?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

WLC, what part of I don't feed AYTHING dont you understand?????? Look at pics on FB, several hives still have tar paper from 3-4 years ago.

OK, then how much honey stores do you leave on each hive for overwintering?

You can't be harvesting all of it.

Oldtimer... You Shie me where this great location is and YOU can shoot the video yourself.......

LOL.

But I won't be doing the video, I'm not claiming to be able to produce a thousand pounds from a hive, I've never even done 1/2 that. Clearly I have a lot to learn.

There's a pic of one of my sites in post 315 of this thread. I don't run single brood nests, but where it is done in these parts 150 lb's would not be unusual, and I doubt it would be in your parts either.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

WLC.. Here's the dynamics. One, I never touch the deeps. If the 3rd deep isn't full the supers don't get filled. Going into winter bottom deep has honey on outside frames, 6-7 frames of pollen, second deep 3 outside frames honey, 2 frames if pollen middle empty drawn, top deep 95% honey/5% pollen. On average queens drop down bottom deep around Feb 20th, bees work their way up. On average pollen starts coming in 3/11, bees start drones. If a hive is not supered up by 4/11 they start swarming 4/27, as in the case 08/09/10. Which them years wasn't supering till 2 weeks before black locust(5/20). Problem was 3 deep system was swarming starting 4/27. This git me to rethink when to super. So started supering, first week of April. Doing do dramatically reduced swarming. But at that time was only using 3 supers average. Bees would fill supers by end of May and still swarm. So started increasing the number of supers to see what feasible limitations was. 10 was not feasible, 7 seems to work best but need to be extracted by mid-June. Put back on ASAP extract again before goldenrod flow end of Aug.

Last year being a dearth from early June-July that put a damper on second harves till soybean bloom.

Oldtimer:

He's an MDA Splitter disciple alright. He just needs to fess up.

I'll bet you that he's leaving stores on starting in late August/early September.

That would explain the 'no feeding' bit, the whole 'fat bee' bit, and it would explain where he's getting all that brood so early.

Didn't I say he was being entertaining?

Yes obviously he leaves the stores rather than feed later. And that is a good way especially in a big hive to get a good spring buildup.

Thanks for the details Tim.

It'll take me a while to digest.

WLC.. Here's the dynamics. One, I never touch the deeps. If the 3rd deep isn't full the supers don't get filled. Going into winter bottom deep has honey on outside frames, 6-7 frames of pollen, second deep 3 outside frames honey, 2 frames if pollen middle empty drawn, top deep 95% honey/5% pollen. On average queens drop down bottom deep around Feb 20th, bees work their way up. On average pollen starts coming in 3/11, bees start drones. If a hive is not supered up by 4/11 they start swarming 4/27, as in the case 08/09/10. Which them years wasn't supering till 2 weeks before black locust(5/20). Problem was 3 deep system was swarming starting 4/27. This git me to rethink when to super. So started supering, first week of April. Doing do dramatically reduced swarming. But at that time was only using 3 supers average. Bees would fill supers by end of May and still swarm. So started increasing the number of supers to see what feasible limitations was. 10 was not feasible, 7 seems to work best but need to be extracted by mid-June. Put back on ASAP extract again before goldenrod flow end of Aug.

Last year being a dearth from early June-July that put a damper on second harves till soybean bloom.
    Well that was interesting Tim, that is the kind of information I like.

You mention the timing of your pollen flow, what is the timing of the nectar flows?

On a smalle scale I can can verify your findings. I did the following this year. I wintered a hive on one deep. Young queen from 2012. I took all the brood combs from four other hives at the beginning of April, still very cold. Not much brood in the hives, I took it and put it into two additional deeps over the wintered colony. I supered the hive with two more deeps with empty combs. So the bees were on five deeps.

What I found is, that the bees build up rapidly because of the bees hatching. They filled and capped about three deep supers in an area where other beeks do have nothing to harvest until now, because the bees consumed the little nectar they collected. (Very cold Spring this year.)

The broodnest is unlimited - no excluder - and brood can be found mainly in the two deeps below, just a couple of brood combs in the third.

So far no intentions of swarming to be found. Other hives in my area swarmed. The colony very vigirous and strong, main flow ahead.

So I can verify that a lot of comb is beneficial, and that must be true for a lot of pollen and honey stores during winter, too.

Of course I observe one drawback of the combining of early brood: the varroa population is exploding. Lots and lots of varroa. Not much damage can be seen, yet. But that's a question of time, I suppose.

From this and other observations I will experiment more with those stacks.

Nectar flows.. Hensbit/ purple deadnettle chichweed vast acreage in the corn fields till they get planted mid march till planting end of April. Then dandelions/fruit trees late April early May. Black locust/black berries end if May. Tulip popular beginning of June clover/alfalfa mid June well into July (alfalfa usually gets cut before bloom). Early-mid July mint fields, end of July soybean. Early Aug dearth till goldenrod.
    Most of the flows are from small patchy areas between corn/bean fields. The only vast forage is early pre planting, mint and soybeans.

I did have the opportunity to move 20 big hives on blueberries. In one week they filled 2 supers and working on the 3rd. 1st and 3 rd supers are brand new undrawn. Which takes a good amount of honey to draw up new supers. I don't use a queen excluder, so I always place a new super at the bottom of the stack. Haven't had a queen pass a new super yet. Bees will fill drawn first before drawing new. Also by using New this depletes tge wax builders. By keeping wax builders depleted, this also dramatically reduces swarming.

By using the 3 deep and them brooding up earlier, they're out jumping the Varrao. Varrao needs drone brood to hr most prolific. But also I haven't bought bees since 2006 and the bees I do have are from mostly feral local swarms caught in 07' Turned 15 into 150+50-60 splits sold.

Since I'm splitting half my hives each year. Varrao gets split also. Plus not bringing in any new mite genetics. So mites are getting inbred. I have several yards 2 miles apart with different genetic lines of bees.

tim, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences.

it sounds like you don't get much of a break in the nectar flow up there, not much of a summer 'dearth'?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

He's an MDA Splitter disciple alright. He just needs to fess up.

I'll bet you that he's leaving stores on starting in late August/early September.

Umm I start leaving stores when I first make a split. I make full hive body splits. My only concentration is getting them to draw up 2 new hive bodies. I split using swarm cells and equalize all resources (honey, pollen and brood).
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 05-28-2013 at 08:34 AM.

I stand corrected. But, there are more than a few similarities between the methodologies. By the way, I think that Mel advocates feeding back honey, etc., rather than using 'sugar'.

So, you've got stores on your splits in July. Makes sense. Those would be overwintered and used for next seasons honey production. Correct?

Not for nothing, but you are moving stores around as part of your management. So, I think that some of us would characterize that as feeding stores.
    Last edited by WLC; 05-28-2013 at 06:44 AM.

WLC, not even close..... I don't have to FEED anything, I don't have to take 4 hives to equal my one. I'm not selling books, bees (unless lack of equipment) or anything. I don't care how anyone keeps their bees. If your satisfied with 60# average production number, so bee it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Everyone can speculate all you want....don't care.... All I'll say is, this is what 8+years unadulterated sugar free bees do.

"I don't have to FEED anything,.."
    Semantics...

How about the splits? Do they become next years honey producers?

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast