Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

I love trapping swarms!

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bee Whisperer 
#1 ·
I have caught 14 swarms in 10 traps so far and 1 out of a tree. This is some kind of fun! Now I have to go get more woodenware.
I was warned that bees were addictive :)

#3 ·
I have two extra traps that I don't set out and I use those to swap out with ones that catch swarms. So when I take one i leave one in its place. I have actually caught swarms two days later in the same location. When I transfer the swarms into regular hives I usually only have to move over two or three frames and I replace them with extra old frames that I keep on hand. Then you have your swarm box ready to swap out with the next one and so on.You will get the old frames back later as you work your hives and manipulate frames for various reasons. Although I have some traps set close to my two apiaries I have most set at least two or more miles away so that I can relocate from where they are caught straight to one of the yards with out having to move them twice.
Good luck!
Tim

#6 ·
Old hive bodies(deeps), any where from 5' to 15' high. Make it easy on yourself. I don't use trees. Put them in windows of or on top of porches of old falling down houses. Place them so you can see the openings from the truck that way you don't have to waste time when checking them. I use a 1&1/4 hole saw to cut entrance. Use as much old frames as possible for smell and leave all but the outside two empty of foundation. Outside two I use old dark comb. LGO for lure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.