Hybrid View

Default Question about Very HOT weather,like 105

Hi everyone

My first-ever bees are doing great and my first inspection thrilled me with tight covered brood pattern,only a few drone cells, and lots of larvae to look at! Since April 9 they have 8 bars going so I know they are happy.
    But,it's a hot Spring here and it got me worried about summer.
    We sometimes (quite variable here)get a week or more of 105+ weather in July or August. I have a white tarp to suspend over my hive for the high noon sun but don't know if shade is enough. I also have some 3 inch insulation board that I was thinking of putting on the sunny side and top but am unsure if it will insulate against the heat...or would it just hold extra heat IN at night? I already know not to inspect or do anything during that time. I've read a lot of fallen comb stories in forums. My hive is 1" cedar and I'm kind of wishing is was 2" now,after-the-fact.

Does anyone deal with this sort of weather with a top bar? What do you do? Thanks.

Default Re: Question about Very HOT weather,like 105

I use exclusively TBH style hives for my bees here in coastal TX. While we very rarely top 100F here on the coast, we often have a month straight of 95F days with 85% humidity... anywise, to help keep the heat off my bees, I painted the tops of my lids with "Aluminum Roofing Paint," a (very) reflective, oil-based paint; I also use the KTBH-style sloped-sides on my boxes, so the sun rarely hits the sides of the hives much, due to their "hiding" under the overlap of the lid. Lastly, I cut my top bars like Langstroth frames, with bee-space between every two bars, and between the bars & the lid, with a top entrance into the bee space above the bars. This way my bees have the heat-fighting advantage of being able to ventilate above the tops of the combs, so the hottest air in the hive is first to be fanned out

HappyBeeing, We have High temps. here in July and Aug. also. I have screen bottomboards on my hives and a top entrance for ventilation, i would not put insulation on the hive, they need air circulation to cool the inside. I sometime put a piece of plywood over the top of the hive for shade.

Hi robherc and brooksbeefarm! Thank you for letting me know how you work it! So far top ventilation is the common theme and I don't have any in the top of my hive body(just the peaked roof over the flat top). I do have a bottom screen with a swing down door under it I've kept closed so far but figured those high temps would be when I'd open it. I knew instinctivly that something was missing or I'd forgotten something I read though.Since I have a lower slot door I'll probably put some corks up top to open now when the scorcher hits.Thanks again so much! HB

HappyBeeing, a couple of popsicle sticks under the two front corners of the inner cover will give some ventilation and small enough to keep robbers out.

HappyBeeing

Might want to consider cutting some end vents in your peaked roof. Easy to do, just cut a 2" hole on each end covered with screen/hardware cloth inside to release the heat. Good in winter also.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Hi Again brooksbeefarm...Well,gee,that's an easy fix! Do the closed top bars actally "vent" right through the wood? I'm in an area of few other honey bees(other keepers 10 miles or more away and me with only the one hive for now). I needed my own pollinators for my fruit trees and melons. There are plenty of wild pollinators here but they liked the wild growth more than my plantings. I was SO delighted my bees found my fruit tree blossoms immediatly. I imagine when I harvest a comb someday I might get a look at robber activity though by smelling up the area. ha.And I plan on having hive #2 next year.

Hi beeman! Yeah that's exactly how our peaked roof was done;I must have seen the same specs as you somewhere! I'm thinking now a further vent "closer to the combs" will help though.I don't know how much venting happens right Through untreated wood like my inner cover.