Thread: Latest TBH

Default Latest TBH

My wife and I are first year beeks. Really striving to be bee guardians. Hived two packages in langstroth hives but after getting video from backyard hives on tbh's I built the blue one. Walls are 1 3/4 inch lumber with 30 degree angle. Top bars are 20 inches. It has a observation window. Hived my bees on may 4 and now they have 9 bars pulled brood, larva doing great. Having so much fun with that one built another to get ready for next spring. If all goes well will have 4 hives next year. Now, since we live in Marquette mich with cold winters this one, the purple one, has 3 inch walls and didn't put in an observation window. Both have plenty of room for insulation in gable roof cover. The are heavy, had to wheel the first one in a wheelbarrow to site. Shouldn't have to worry about blowing over. Montyimage.jpgimage.jpg

Default Re: Latest TBH

Very nice, but holy cow, three inch walls! Did you have pour footers!

I'd heard of people using a laminated foam insulation for their hive walls in northern climates. 3" walls though is quite good, but dang, will be heavy. Good thing it's a top bar and you don't have to move anything once it's in place.

I think think the R value of 1 inch foam is a lot higher than 3 inches of wood. I'm not even sure where to get wood that is 3 inches thick other than a saw mill. The upside to insulation is you could put it on in the fall and take it off in the spring. But again, you are not moving it, so there is nothing wrong with using the thick wood. It will take a long time before it rots out.

It's 2thickness of 2 x 12's. we live in michigan s upper peninsula. Doesn't get too hot. June 2 and only 46 degrees today. More worried about winter. Ferrel bees live through winter in trees w/ thick walls. Hoping the think this is just a purple tree on its side. We will see