Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

American Foulbrood outbreak in my 2 day old hive

13K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
Hello beesource mermbers, im a newbie from Prince George Va. I imported a Nuc from Flordia and unfortunatley it had a foulbrood outbreak and the state apiarist came to visit today and had me destroy the colony. Im really bummed out about it but maybe ill be able to find bees next year and try again:scratch:

#33 ·
In your first Post you state that the State Apiarist checked the hive and told you to destroy it. Are you sure it wasn't one of VA's Apiary Inspectors? There is a difference. Any idea how much experience the person has had?

How did you go about getting rid of the hive?

#37 ·
AFB and EFB display very different symptoms. It should not be so easy to confuse one for the other, and an inspector should know enough to send samplease to Beltsville. Was the affected brood capped or open?

Without seeing the much it is hard to have an opinion, but perhaps the 10 hour ride chilled/dehydrated some of the brood, giving the impression of a brood disease.

Deknow

#39 ·
I received my bees from hives and more and they have been doing great! I got mine in march. The first time I went to pick them up the weather was horrible. They didn't want to disturb the bees for fear of too much stress on them and the fear of stings to the customer. The people of hives and more are very concerned about the health and well being of their bees. As I was picking up my bees they were explaining what I should look for,their propr care etc. a few of the expert keepers even gave me their phone number in case I have any questions or problems. I registered my bees before I even got them. Florida's state inspector called me and stated he will schedule an inspection next year. They don't inspect new hives because they aren't established yet and could be stressed and show false signs of disease. Just my opinion of hives and more.

#42 ·
I've been to H&M this year. Seems like a pretty legit place. They have a small shop and offer Bee classes from time to time. Their supplies seem to be quality made, they make some of the stuff on site. I wouldn't say H&M is a shady place or people to deal with.

I can understand the OP being upset and even pissed. It probably would have been best to wait for results of the tests before posting but now I am curious what happens next. I hope you will post the results of the tests. If it is the inspectors screw up I really would like to know how or what they plan to do to make it right or can the simply just get out of it?

But to the point, I hope someone will help you out that lives closer to you.

#43 ·
On the flip side...

"When the colony becomes weak from AFB infection, robber bees may enter and take contaminated honey back to their hives thereby spreading the disease to other colonies and apiaries. Beekeepers also may spread disease by moving equipment (frames or supers) from contaminated hives to healthy ones." (Wiki)

I'm just saying...

Plus just like the OP, no one would want to be sold AFB infected Bees and we sure don't want it to spread to other areas of the state or country.

#46 ·
Inspectors don't usually check each and every hive or nuc. So having a State Apiary Inspector look into ones' hives is only so good. The own/producer has to know what to look for and how to identify disease. Only the producer will be looking at each and every frame going into a nuc or hive. The buyer aught to do an inspection themselves when possible. Especially when transporting to a location far away from the producer. It's not likely that our OPer is going to take the hive back to FL and demand a refund, if he still had the hive. Which I don't think he does.

#47 · (Edited)
Inspectors don't usually check each and every hive or nuc. So having a State Apiary Inspector look into ones' hives is only so good. The own/producer has to know what to look for and how to identify disease. Only the producer will be looking at each and every frame going into a nuc or hive.

Having said that, either way, I'm still curious what Hives and More findings/tests (Personal or State of Florida) turned out to be. There should be some result, good or bad... (Not just from the State of Virginia as the OP stated earlier they have done with his hive). I'm not taking it out on H&M if they indeed have AFB, crap happens. If H&M does have AFB I am 100% positive they will take care of the situation. However living SOMEWHAT close to them it does concern me a bit although I probably have nothing to worry about IF they actually do have AFB?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.