Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: American Foulbrood outbreak in my 2 day old hive

I called and left a message, you were having problems, not sure if they are working today, but they are good people and I would think, they would like a chance to help.My call went to a answering machine, but they should call you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcard86 View Post
    Hello beesource mermbers, im a newbie from Prince George Va. I imported a Nuc from Flordia and unfortunatley it had a foulbrood outbreak and the state apiarist came to visit today and had me destroy the colony. Im really bummed out about it but maybe ill be able to find bees next year and try again
    Hi, I spoke with you yesterday and today from HivesandMore about the bee issue. When I asked you the following questions. Did you notice any nasty smells during the inspections, what tests he performed. Your response was you did not notice any nasty smells, you stated he used a tooth pick and is came out as brown lump. I ask if you noticed if is was stringy like chew gum being stretch. You said no. I asked which foul brood did your inspector said it was. You stated he did not state which foul brood. You also said it would take five days for him to get his test results back. I asked if he did a holst milk test. You said no. We offered to refund your money when you send us a letter from your bee inspector, stating he order you to destroy the bees. You said he was going to call our state inspectors, we have not heard from our bee inspector. I did however, after speaking to you. I called and requested our inspector to come to very the claims made against us. We are inspected yearly and before you pick up the bee to transport 12 hours, I confirmed there was a queen and it was a healthy hive before the hive was sealed up for you. I did not see or smell any signs of either type of foul brood.

wassmerk,
    There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm wondering if this wasn't a case of the brood getting cooked while in transport. Dead brood, not AFB.

Can you explain how you prepare a nuc for beekeeper transport? Rcard86 described the nuc being shrink wrapped. How is tghe shrink wrap used. What is the nuc box like?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

We use strips of plasticell to cover up the entrance of the hive and 4 staples to hold it in place. It wrap around the base covering the two inch plasticell over entrance. It was wrap around the center of hive from top to bottom to hold the hive cover in place. The shrink wraps only 4" wide. The hive was a ten frame hive with telescoping hive cover and screen bottom board. We did not shrink wrap the entire hive. We also do nuc the same if they are being transport long distance. I was not present at time he pick up his bees. If he had placed them on the seat instead the bed truck that could cause the screen bottom board to have a ventilation problem.
    Last edited by wassmerk; 04-27-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Also, all our nuc box have screen bottom boards.

Do you think that during a ten hour drive, on the seat of someones vehicle, the brood might overheat?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Yes, it could if seat is contour which could block the air flow. I do not know if he stop for a long period of time during his travel. I do not know if with the window up or down, or a/c not.
    Last edited by wassmerk; 04-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.

a/c was on i have a metal platform on my floor and the hive had a few inches of air gap, (again we have a field diagnosis, no offical conformation!!!!!!!!!) The hive was packaged perfectley i think i just have an inspector who is over reacting, and i am pi**ed he made me kill the bees. AGAIN THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYONE i WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT THE STAFF AT HIVES AND MORE IS VERY KNOWLEGABLE AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!

a/c was on i have a metal platform on my floor and the hive had a few inches of air gap, (again we have a field diagnosis, no offical conformation!!!!!!!!!) The hive was packaged perfectley i think i just have an inspector who is over reacting, and i am pi**ed he made me kill the bees. AGAIN THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYONE
    This not attack on you. Unfortunately when a person read AFB it can ruin a company/bee supplier. I had to provide a bit from hives and more to show we are working with on this problem and we are concerned. Hence, why I called our inspector because we are a responsible business and this is a serious matter that concerns all beekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by wassmerk View Post
    This not attack on you. Unfortunately when a person read AFB it can ruin a company/bee supplier. I had to provide a bit from hives and more to show we are working with on this problem and we are concerned. Hence, why I called our inspector because we are a responsible business and this is a serious matter that concerns all beekeepers.

Id also like to add i am a novice beekeeper with no experience and am simply re-stating what i was i told!!!

In NY, when an Appiary Inspector field diagnoses AFB the hive is quarantined until Lab Verification is obtained. I guess they do things differently in VA. Too bad.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Im really bummed out i have a strange hunch the test will be negative

In your first Post you state that the State Apiarist checked the hive and told you to destroy it. Are you sure it wasn't one of VA's Apiary Inspectors? There is a difference. Any idea how much experience the person has had?

How did you go about getting rid of the hive?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Hes the state apiarist

a/c was on i have a metal platform on my floor and the hive had a few inches of air gap, (again we have a field diagnosis, no offical conformation!!!!!!!!!) The hive was packaged perfectley i think i just have an inspector who is over reacting, and i am pi**ed he made me kill the bees. AGAIN THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYONE i WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT THE STAFF AT HIVES AND MORE IS VERY KNOWLEGABLE AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!
    Sorry for your loss.

PA's dept of agriculture has an apiary program and part of my bi-annual $10 fee that covers every one of my hives includes inspections on request from me or the state. I've had two inspections. The first inspection provided a valuable but painful lesson on varroa mites. Their contribution makes them my first call if anything is suspect.

On those two inspections here in SE PA, one of my hives was tagged for potential issues. The first by a seasoned inspector and the second by a recent biology grad. Both began with the toothpick. They tagged the suspect hive and took a sample of bees. Beyond that, I don't recall. A bit later, maybe a week or two, a letter showed up confirming lab results and giving me a clean bill of health.

As I read your plight, two thoughts came. Each hive isn't inspected every day. I can't see the need to immediately put down a colony on a field test since lab test always follow. The second thought is VA might want to visit PA.

Today is April 27 and IMHO not too late to make a go. Swarm season may be in full swing in your area. I suggest going to the next local club meeting and listen quietly to the radar for a keeper who may have abundance. Strike up a conversation long enough to get them on the soap box and immediately hunker down with great attention. When their feathers are good and fluffy, explain your plight. I suspect you'll get a line on one of their or their friend's splits, nuc or swarm capture before you make it home.

As far as your difficulty, wait for the dust to settle and see where the chips fall. Then blast the culprit directly in writing and make sure their superiors and anyone else who cares gets a copy. We're still struggling with CCD and every colony counts.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I think its great that a apiary like Hives & More would take the time to address a question like this and on a public forum!! Outstanding! I wish more apiaries were more customer service oriented. It seems like not returning messages or emails is the norm.

AFB and EFB display very different symptoms. It should not be so easy to confuse one for the other, and an inspector should know enough to send samplease to Beltsville. Was the affected brood capped or open?

Without seeing the much it is hard to have an opinion, but perhaps the 10 hour ride chilled/dehydrated some of the brood, giving the impression of a brood disease.

Deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    AFB and EFB display very different symptoms. It should not be so easy to confuse one for the other, and an inspector should know enough to send samplease to Beltsville. Was the affected brood capped or open?

Without seeing the much it is hard to have an opinion, but perhaps the 10 hour ride chilled/dehydrated some of the brood, giving the impression of a brood disease.

Deknow
    Deknow thats exactley my point!!! They went from sunny florida to 50 degree va in ten hours, idk about the bees but i was sure ready to head back to Florida hahahaha

I received my bees from hives and more and they have been doing great! I got mine in march. The first time I went to pick them up the weather was horrible. They didn't want to disturb the bees for fear of too much stress on them and the fear of stings to the customer. The people of hives and more are very concerned about the health and well being of their bees. As I was picking up my bees they were explaining what I should look for,their propr care etc. a few of the expert keepers even gave me their phone number in case I have any questions or problems. I registered my bees before I even got them. Florida's state inspector called me and stated he will schedule an inspection next year. They don't inspect new hives because they aren't established yet and could be stressed and show false signs of disease. Just my opinion of hives and more.

Bingo , i think my inspector is over reacting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast