Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default American Foulbrood outbreak in my 2 day old hive

Hello beesource mermbers, im a newbie from Prince George Va. I imported a Nuc from Flordia and unfortunatley it had a foulbrood outbreak and the state apiarist came to visit today and had me destroy the colony. Im really bummed out about it but maybe ill be able to find bees next year and try again

Default Re: American Foulbrood outbreak in my 2 day old hive

That sucks did they ship it to you or did you get a chance to inspect it prior? If they shipped it I would ask for a refund

Either way that isn't right. Did it have a health certificate?

Refund and replacement due. Who did you get it from?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

No it was closed up with plastic wrap when i picked it up i was in FL for work and was in a hurrry so i didnt open it

It was purchased from Hives and More in Jacksonville FL. I cant get in touch with them, my state inspector says he'll be reporting this incident.

How did you transport it? In the trunk of your car? Was it dead when you got it home?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I transpored it in the cab of my truck, the hive has a screen bottom and had plent of air flow, it was a 10 hr ride though

So where was the plastic wrap? How did you come onto Hives and More in Jacksonville? Are they not answering the phone? Is that what you mean by "can't get in touch with them"?

The palstic wrap was around the hive body holding the top cover on the screen was open on the botton and the entrance was blocked with plastic.

I see. Well, I hope you get something out of this other than the education you already have. Find some local bees.

Catch a swarm or do a cut out
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Quote Originally Posted by Rcard86 View Post
    It was purchased from Hives and More in Jacksonville FL.
    How fitting.
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Check with your local inspector and find out who sells nucs in your area. Maybe he can recommend a local reputable beekeeper who can hook you up with a nuc.
    To everything there is a season....

This is a true story that was told to me last night. The family was dirt poor. she had built her bees up to the point that she was starting to show a profit. The state inspector had just retard, and a young inspector replaced him. On the first inspection from this young man who was straight out of college, he thought he was seeing American foulbrood in her hives. He did the tooth pick test, and made her burn all of her bees,and equipment. She was smart enough that she sent samples off to Auburn University. She didn't have foulbrood, and no bees, or equipment.

It was purchased from Hives and More in Jacksonville FL. I cant get in touch with them
    Here is their website, and this link is the "Customer Testimonials" page:

http://www.hivesandmore.com/testimonials

Note the phone number for "24/7 Customer Service", (555) 555-0123. Even without calling it, it is obviously fake! All 555 area code numbers are reserved for phone company use!

It is possible that Hives and More used a pre-made website template and didn't change the ad/number shown, but that example is repeated on other pages also. It look like they spent about as much time preparing their website as they did ensuring they were selling healthy bees.

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Um, not so fast.

I'm always a bit leery when the claims start flying without an opportunity for the supplier to state his side of the story, or before he has had an opportunity to set things right.

I've taken the liberty of sending the company a link to this thread, which might need to be in Consumer Reports.

Hives and More.com
    1145 Sheffield Rd
    St Johns, FL 32259
    904 586 8687 / 866 399 0347

We're about 3 miles south of the Julington Creek Bridge just off State Rd 13. Your'e more than welcome to stop by to see us but please call first to make an appointment.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I would want to 100% confirm the foulbrood first, AFB and EFB can be easily confused... I know my inspector has whined about it a dozen times, and no sample has ever been bad......

The bad part is my inspector says even if it were european foul foulbrood it was on 5 frames and i had to destroy the hive, he took one frame and about 200 bees with him to be sent to the lab and we'll know for sure next week

It was my understanding the only hive that needed to be destroyed was AFB. I think EFB can be treated. Of course, state laws may vary.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

The bad part is my inspector says even if it were european foul foulbrood it was on 5 frames and i had to destroy the hive, he took one frame and about 200 bees with him to be sent to the lab and we'll know for sure next week
    So the Field Diagnosis is AFB, but the Inspector isn't positive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast