Thread: Loud Bees

Default Loud Bees

Newb here. I installed two packages two weeks ago. I opened the hives afte a week to check. The first looked good, drawing comb, saw the boss lady, all is well. The second seemed pretty good, too, with a few exceptions. Slightly less drawn comb, lots of brood started, but did not see the queen. They were also much louder than the first. I've heard that queenless hive can be loud, but I did see brood. Any suggestions? Planning on opening again his weekend.

Default Re: Loud Bees

A queenless hive can definitely be noisy. However, I have queenright bees that are noisy just for the heck of it. In all likelihood, you have a queen. This weekend, look closely in the cells for eggs. If all you have is capped brood and no eggs, then you may be in trouble. If you see eggs in there, rest easy.

Again, my bet is that you have a queen.
    Try it. What could happen?

The sound a hopelessly queenless hive makes is a very different sound then just buzzing, it is almost like a lament, like they are asking for help. Anyway that has been my experience. 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Did you use smoke the second time and not the first ? The first few times I opened my hive I did not use smoke because it was just a nuc and not big once it got big enough to get defensive and I used my smoker for the first time I did like alot of new breaks and probably went a little heavy and they roared lol they were just fanning the smoke out of the hive

Thanks all. Checked it out Saturday. As soon as the smoke hit them (very light) they started the kicking up the noise. I backed off, let them calm down, and they were fine with no smoke. Found lots of drawn cell, eggs and larvae, in addition to an active queen. I installed them about two weeks prior to the last inspection. Looking good.