Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which extractor???

We will have 5 hives this year...brood boxes are deeps supers are dadants (mediums). Some supers are foundationless, some with wax foundation and some with plastic. Hopefully in a year or two we will we decide what works best for our bees (and thus us)(.

I would prefer a radial powered extractor. Some seem to be a combination of radial and tangential.

I read about Mann Lake (free shipping but thinner steel), Dadant (radial/tangential combo), and Maxant (a large radial only and a small radial/tangential combo).

??? Which to purchase? Will require shipping to Canada and no dedicated space to store it (unless I put it in storage at work which is a real possibility).

What other stuff does one need...heated capping knife, capping rake/fork, uncapping container, large honey pail and filters etc.

All ideas and comments welcome including who to purchase from.

Default Re: Which extractor???

Look on craigslist and other such sites for a used one.

For five hives, I would do crush and strain, unless I found an awesome deal on a used extractor...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm#crushandstrain
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    For five hives, I would do crush and strain, unless I found an awesome deal on a used extractor...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm#crushandstrain
    Our plan is to add 5 hives per year...by next year we should have 10 hives of 2 supers each...20 frames/hive ....200 frames...wouldn't that be a lot of time and effort to crush, drain and redo the foundation. If one carefully extracts can't the frame and drawn foundation be used again?

I like the idea of gently used equipment but so far none has appeared

Well i have 10 hives right now and plan on 15 hives and 15 nucs buy winter seems like i just keep on growing and spending money but i am starting to get honey and i needed a extractor so i looked at alot and decided to buy a Twenty Frame Radial Extractor POWER-20F SEMI PRO its is alittle over kill right now i only have about 40 frames of honey from dead outs from this past winter but i plan on a honey year and quessing this hobby is going to keep growing.
    I'm going to extract sunday can't wait i have deeps setting everware in my garden shed and things are heating up and leaking .

so cool.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

What? No pic of the hat too????

Extractor looks great! Congrats on the new toy!!

Maxant any other questions?
    Think about it....Buy American

That Glock 20 frame Maxant is the one I wish I had. We have the 6 frame bigger is better.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by crazylocha View Post
    What? No pic of the hat too????

Extractor looks great! Congrats on the new toy!!
    thanks and yes i forgot THE HAT

Now am Double jealous!!!

Maxant is good, Dadant is good, imports work just fine. Unless you go pro with hundreds of hives you won't wear any of them out. It takes a lot of frames of honey to pay for a new name brand extractor. This is a tool you will use a couple of weeks a year for most of us. A good used extractor will last you a lifetime. My 20 frame Dadant was 30 years old when I got it. It spins honey just fine and cost $400.

> If one carefully extracts can't the frame and drawn foundation be used again?

Yes. That is the entire concept of extracting. But I don't see the cost benefit for a few hobbyist hives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If a functioning used 20 frame radial electric came available I would be happy to have it ...for $400 I would be thrilled.

What number of hives crosses someone from hobbyist to business?

If starting from packages/nucs in a climate like Vancouver, BC how long does it usually take for a hive to become established enough to produce extra honey supers for extracting?

I got the 9/18 from Mann lake - Manual. One day I will upgrade to the motor But I just dont see the need. $699 free shipping, whats not to love. The metal is plenty strong it has never let me down. why pay 500 more for a motor, you can always do that when you grow into it.

I got the 6/3 (with side crank) from Mann Lake last season. Cost is currently $430 with free shipping. It's a good, solid machine. I wish, however, I would have spent more and have gone with the 18/9.

The problem with the tangential extractors is that you have to 1) Put the frames in and spin out some of the honey, 2) Flip the frames around and spin out all of the honey on that side, then 3) Flip them again and spin out the remaining honey from the first side.

This is a log of time and handling! You have to get the extractor up to a certain speed to spin out most of the honey. If you don't do all this flipping of frames, the weight of the honey on the inside of the frame will sometimes collapse the comb when it gets up to that speed. Especially with foundationless or with wax foundation.

The 18/9 solves all of these problems. For $700 shipped.

Of course, I wish I had the money to buy the $1250 motorized version! The cranking gets old

Good luck!
    -wanderyr

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >

But I don't see the cost benefit for a few hobbyist hives...
    It's not allways about the money i could care less what i spend on my bee's hell i bought your book and alls i had to do is read your web site right ?!

sorry dbl post.

Certainly if you have the money to spend, I would buy the largest extractor that would fit through my kitchen door, which is what I did when I finally bought one. I got Mann Lake's 9/18 motorized and have been quite happy with it.

I have the little Italian job that Brushy Mountain sells (9 frame). Works fine for my 15 hives. Added a home made motor to it. If I get much bigger though may need to upgrade to the Maxant. I find the uncapping to be the slowest, biggest pain part of the process. If they could only develop a small uncapper for hobby/sideline beeks that didn't cost an arm and a leg.