Hybrid View

Default Which extractor???

We will have 5 hives this year...brood boxes are deeps supers are dadants (mediums). Some supers are foundationless, some with wax foundation and some with plastic. Hopefully in a year or two we will we decide what works best for our bees (and thus us)(.

I would prefer a radial powered extractor. Some seem to be a combination of radial and tangential.

I read about Mann Lake (free shipping but thinner steel), Dadant (radial/tangential combo), and Maxant (a large radial only and a small radial/tangential combo).

??? Which to purchase? Will require shipping to Canada and no dedicated space to store it (unless I put it in storage at work which is a real possibility).

What other stuff does one need...heated capping knife, capping rake/fork, uncapping container, large honey pail and filters etc.

All ideas and comments welcome including who to purchase from.

Default Re: Which extractor???

Look on craigslist and other such sites for a used one.

For five hives, I would do crush and strain, unless I found an awesome deal on a used extractor...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm#crushandstrain
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    For five hives, I would do crush and strain, unless I found an awesome deal on a used extractor...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm#crushandstrain
    Our plan is to add 5 hives per year...by next year we should have 10 hives of 2 supers each...20 frames/hive ....200 frames...wouldn't that be a lot of time and effort to crush, drain and redo the foundation. If one carefully extracts can't the frame and drawn foundation be used again?

I like the idea of gently used equipment but so far none has appeared

Well i have 10 hives right now and plan on 15 hives and 15 nucs buy winter seems like i just keep on growing and spending money but i am starting to get honey and i needed a extractor so i looked at alot and decided to buy a Twenty Frame Radial Extractor POWER-20F SEMI PRO its is alittle over kill right now i only have about 40 frames of honey from dead outs from this past winter but i plan on a honey year and quessing this hobby is going to keep growing.
    I'm going to extract sunday can't wait i have deeps setting everware in my garden shed and things are heating up and leaking .

so cool.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

What? No pic of the hat too????

Extractor looks great! Congrats on the new toy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Look on craigslist and other such sites for a used one.
    If you find one, act fast. They do not hang around for long!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post

All ideas and comments welcome including who to purchase from.
    Save yourself a ton of hassle on the import / shipping, buy it in bc. The folks at bees and glass just up the road from us deal in all the Mann lake stuff, and I'm sure they can figure out cost effective delivery. When I asked Larry about pricing for an extractor last week, he pointed to the price in the catalog, picked up locally here in Duncan, no extra shipping. I'm sure they have it figured out for Vancouver delivery.

Thanks..I will look them up. Given this is our first year I am thinking we may not need an extractor at all for a bit. As a newbie I was thinking OMG much be ready for all that honey but now in reality I wondering if I shouldn't leave it for he bees their first winter putting up with someone so inexperienced! ..but then next year...another story Thanks for pointing me to local folks.