Default Where did my bees go?

Hi all...I have a TBH that I got last April...We had a rocky start to it, first losing the queen and then almost losing the hive, but then successfully requeening it -- Steven Ogborn rescued us with some timely brood comb right as we introduced the new queen, and everything seemed fine. Queen got accepted, brood hatched, combs got made, and everyone was happy.

Now, recently the hive has just been growing like crazy...they were building comb (due to the bad start and then the winter, they hadn't filled the hive with comb yet) and there were just TONS of bees inside. Like, I would open the viewing window and all I would see was bees, and I was SO excited. Every now and then I saw what I thought was an orientation flight -- a bunch of bees would come out, fly around the hive, and then go back in. Well, I just went out to check on the hive....and I don't know where all the bees are! There are no bees working on the in-progress combs...and those new combs seem empty. There are bees on the brood end of the hive...a fairly decent amount...and bees still coming and going at a good rate. Still, the numbers are nowhere near what they were recently, and it's got me so worried!

Did my hive swarm and I missed it? I don't know how I could have. Is it a bad thing if it did? Is this reduction something I should worry about, or do all hives go through this? I'm still very much a new beek and I've never been through Spring with a hive, so I'm not sure what is considered normal...

I appreciate any help!

Default Re: Where did my bees go?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Hi all...I have a TBH that I got last April...We had a rocky start to it, first losing the queen and then almost losing the hive, but then successfully requeening it -- Steven Ogborn rescued us with some timely brood comb right as we introduced the new queen, and everything seemed fine. Queen got accepted, brood hatched, combs got made, and everyone was happy.

Now, recently the hive has just been growing like crazy...they were building comb (due to the bad start and then the winter, they hadn't filled the hive with comb yet) and there were just TONS of bees inside. Like, I would open the viewing window and all I would see was bees, and I was SO excited. Every now and then I saw what I thought was an orientation flight -- a bunch of bees would come out, fly around the hive, and then go back in. Well, I just went out to check on the hive....and I don't know where all the bees are! There are no bees working on the in-progress combs...and those new combs seem empty. There are bees on the brood end of the hive...a fairly decent amount...and bees still coming and going at a good rate. Still, the numbers are nowhere near what they were recently, and it's got me so worried!

Did my hive swarm and I missed it? I don't know how I could have. Is it a bad thing if it did? Is this reduction something I should worry about, or do all hives go through this? I'm still very much a new beek and I've never been through Spring with a hive, so I'm not sure what is considered normal...

I appreciate any help!
    It would be normal for them to swarm and abnormal if they didn't, you should have a new queen that should mate and start laying eggs soon. The old queen would have taken about half the bees with her. It is not all bad you will have a break in brood rearing which will help with the mite population.

Default Re: Where did my bees go?

Sounds like the hive swarmed-
    I will sum up what a colony swarming for a natural beekeeper means by quoting an experienced Top Bar keeper, "I must be doing something right, they swarmed twice this year"
    Keep on keepin' bees