Thread: Drones?

Default Drones?

I'm a new beek and this is my first year with a hive. I was out watching the bees flying in and out this afternoon and I noticed lots drones flying in and out of the hive. Is this normal? I didn't think they left the hive to gather. I was looked thru the window on my TBH and things seem to be good.

Default Re: Drones?

Like all bees the drones will make cleansing flights and just nosing around. Some might be spending time in your local drone fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickorybow View Post
    Like all bees the drones will make cleansing flights and just nosing around. Some might be spending time in your local drone fields.
    Thanks Hickorybow! I learn more everyday.

My wife thinks I have gone nuts! We where at the Lowes near my home the other day and I was watching a bee gather pollen from the flowers they had forsale and I said to my wife: "Hey look! It's one of my girls gathering pollen"

I am pretty sure I past the gone nuts stage a while ago. Until you keep them you seem to rarely notice there work afterwards you realize they are everywhere. My favorite is to watch them stop by our stream to gather water. Its a great thing "keeping bees."