Default Capture Techniques

If you have a swarm in a location (bees gathered on a tree trunk, or on a fence post, side of a old house) that can't be shaken into a box and can't be vacuumed, what technique would you use to try to capture them?

Wayne

Default Re: Capture Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    If you have a swarm in a location (bees gathered on a tree trunk, or on a fence post, side of a old house) that can't be shaken into a box and can't be vacuumed, what technique would you use to try to capture them?

Wayne
    Sealed brood in a nuc box. Get the nuc as close to the bees as possible, on top of ladder, fence post---ect. Then scoop a couple handful of bees into the hive. They will almost always gravitate to the brood.

Scoop or scrap some of the bees into a nuc box, place against cluster and the rest will follow. Or anoint the nuc box with a few drops of lemongrass oil.

Here is a photo of exactly what odfrank said. Swarm captured last week. Swarm was on a steel post. I put two frames of drawn brood combs, and two frames of foundation in 10 frame box, raked a couple pounds into the box, placed top on deep super, then shook fence as much as I could, they all walked right in.

Swarm on Post Rodney.jpg

Swarm Rodney.jpg

cchoganjr

Thanks for the replies.. Is the amount of bees you can push into the box important and how long would you wait for the straglers to accept their new home?

Get as many as you can, as quickly as you can, then place top on box. I normally wait about 30 minutes, then screen the front and move them to their new home. I have not had a swarm to abscond in years. Notice I put them in old, well used, equipment.

cchoganjr

Thanks again... I'll feel a lot better trying to capture a swarm from a fixed object now.

Wayne

I used a (home made) bee vac to catch a swarm on a chain link fence. It sucked them into a hive ready to set in place in my apiary.