Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Favorite queen rearing system and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Have you read Brother Adam's cell building method? I use it with great success. Beautiful cells full of jelly on day 10. I've added my twist to make the process sustainable to me. I use brood harvested from overwintered nucleus colonies as the brood source for the cell builders.
    : - )
    karla

Does anyone have a link to Brother Adam's cell building method?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Does anyone have a link to Brother Adam's cell building method?
    Probably no real help, but there is a section in this article about his queen breeding methods. Probably best to get the book..... or ask Palmer to describe it.

http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/us/adam.htm
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

I take a empty frame with wedge in cut a strip of eggs and small larvae and use wire to attach the strip and crush every other cell and use newer wax for the foundation strip put above double brooder hive put plywood between too brood boxes make top exit and in four days trade plywood for excluder . Put two cells per split and put frame between two frames with most bees.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Probably best to get the book..... or ask Palmer to describe it.
    On day 1, choose a very strong colony...9 or 10 frames of brood. Check it for queen cells and remove any found. The colony must be queen-right with a prolific queen. Place an excluder on the hive, and on the excluder place a hive body with 2 frames of honey at the side walls, and 7 frames of sealed and emerging brood between the honey. This box will become your cell builder in 10 days. Place a partially filled honey super from the colony on the box. No queen above the excluder!

On day 10, take the colony apart. Check the queen-right part below the excluder for swarm cells. Check the cell builder part for emergency cells. Put the colony back together as it was. Feed 1:1 syrup, continuing the feeding until cells are sealed.

On day 11, in the morning, remove the super and cell builder from above the excluder. Rotate the queen-right part 180 degrees and onto the ground...facing backwards. Place a clean bottom board on stand facing original direction. Place the partially filled super on the bottom board and the cell builder on the super. Remove the two frames of honey. Spread combs at center and add a full frame of pollen. Place an excluder shaker box on cell builder, and shake the bees from the core of the queen-right section into the shaker box and they'll go through the excluder. These will be predominantly nurse bees. Reduce the entrance of the queen-right section to prevent robbing. Cover both.

Day 11, in the afternoon, place your graft into the CB, next to the pollen frame. Cover

Day 16, the cells are sealed. Remove feeder. Carefully remove CB and super. Rotate queen-right section 180 degrees and up onto stand facing original direction. Place excluder on this section, then the super, and then the CB.

Day 21 the cells are ready. The cell builder can now be used again, repeating the process.

Brother Adam harvests the brood from production colonies, but for most beekeepers that's not sustainable. Rather, I harvest my brood from over wintered nucleus colonies, which makes the process sustainable.

Enough for now...today is my first day 1 of the queen rearing season and I'm too pooped to include more. I'll answer questions if there are any, when I can.

Why do I like this method? It's all about the jelly.

Yes it can.. normaly set about 80....

Answr to the incubator question.... that was.. full water in humidity....but I don't use tehm for growing. only hatching ......

As for favorite systen, natrual comb and Mel dissolkens "on the spot" method is the fastest and easiest...... works wonders and is quick.