Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nozema

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bddavis79 
#1 ·
Looks like all my hives suddenly have nozema! What do I treat them with?

#2 ·
Why do you think you have Nosema? If you're seeing some streaking from cleansing flights on your hives, that's normal. You need to so a microscopic level inspection to diagnose Nosema. There are also 2 different strains of Nosema, Apis, and Cerane. The treatments are different depending on the strain. I'm not mentioning the treatments intentionally, because in my opinion, you may not have Nosema, or you don't know which strain you have. It could just be dysentary, and all you do for that is feed.

We need more information to help you.

Wisnewbee
Honey Luv Farm

#5 ·
I also am suspecting nozema, but not sure. I'm new to beekeeping, so this is my best guess. I've seen a lot of dead bees through the winter (E. Kansas), and I attributed it to normal die off. But now that the weather is getting warm, I'm still seeing dead bees. I clean them off the bottom board every day on one hive (I have 2). The colony appears to be healthy when the day warms up - lots of bees coming and going, but the dead ones concern me. The dying ones get very lethargic, and end up lying on their side, but still alive for a while.
I understand that you need to dissect them to identify it, but I really don't know what to look for. If you can help me, please respond. I want to save this colony. Thanks!
Sonny

#6 ·
#7 ·
I'm glad I saw this thread. I installed some packages 3 weeks ago and I noticed the tops and fronts of hives had diarrhea on them. I jumped to conclusions about nosema and sick bees, yada, yada, yada. Man I would have bet it all on them being sick. Then....suddenly, mysteriously, it just went away. Michael I think your right. Just feed them for a minute and see what happens. However, it would be cool to check a few bees out under the microscope. If only because you get to tinker with it:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.