Default Think I made a mistake.....

Got a swarm 9 days ago. Put them in the hive and have not checked on them yet- going to do that tomorrow on my day off.

Just saw that I forgot to put three or four frames back into the hive when I dumped them in. I also have 2 deeps on the hive when I probably should have only had one for starters.

I fear the bees will have drawn comb out on the inner cover during this time. Or will they have gone to the lower deep and drawn comb out on the foundations there?

What do I do if I find comb on the inner cover? Cut and tie to a frame? These bees have been going at it like no one's business. I have been watching them come into the hive just loaded with pollen all week long and am curious how much comb they have drawn out by now.

I cannot wait for midday tomorrow. Will try and snap some photos while I am in there.

Also, I put some syrup in a feeder when I first hived the swarm. Should I refill the feeder or take it out due the fact that they are finding lots of pollen in the area? I read somewhere that too much feeding can be just as bad as too little.

Default Re: Think I made a mistake.....

It's highly likely they will have built comb in the empty space you left, they will initially prefer that to foundation. However it's unlikely this comb contains anything more than some nectar, and some eggs. My advice would be cut it out and chuck it, put your frames in & let them start again.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

>I fear the bees will have drawn comb out on the inner cover during this time.

Most likely. They will prefer their comb to foundation...

>Or will they have gone to the lower deep and drawn comb out on the foundations there?

The swarm almost always starts at the top.

The swarm was so big you put them in two ten frame boxes?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The swarm was so big you put them in two ten frame boxes?
    Nope- I was just new and too excited about catching the swarm to remember to remove the upper deep before I dumped them into the hive.

Had my first inspection today! You guys were right, I had three beautiful combs all drawn out on the inner cover. Full of pollen, nectar, and brood. I managed to salvage most of it and get it rubber banded onto some frames. Lost a little to my fingers being too much for the delicate comb in the hot sun. I did not find the queen, but she is certainly in there with all the brood in various stages of development I saw. I would have taken pictures, but I left the camera in the house and am not sure I would have been able to use it anyway with the gloves on.

I removed the feeder since they are hauling in pollen like crazy right now. In all they have drawn out over 4 and a half frames of comb in their first 10 days. They were rather calm about my ripping their comb to pieces till the final few minutes. Had some guards get in my face about the issue toward the end. I learned a lot today and will not make the same mistakes again. At least the bees are happy despite my bungling around.

No stings today! This bee jacket is pretty sweet. Got an epipen on hand now just in case though.

Cannot wait till the next inspection to see how well they have repaired the comb I moved. I looked at some of the brood that got lost with the bits of comb that were too small to stick back in- no mites from what I can see.

What should I do with the bits of comb? Leave it near the hive for them to reclaim the pollen and nectar, or throw it away?

It sounds like you are doing good and getting some self-education along the way! As for the leftover comb...you can leave it for them to rob out, but don't throw it away. Throw it in a box or something after they're through with it and when you get enough make up a solar wax melter and start saving wax...beeswax candles are very nice.

Ed

Nice recovery! Very little setback was done since you were able to recycle their comb. Way to go!

Was fascinating watching them work while I was checking them over. Watched one worker grab hold of a larva that fell out of the comb and onto the top of a frame. Not sure if it was trying to put the larva back into a cell or carry it out of the hive, but it was neat to watch.

Been watching all kinds of videos, but nothing compared to the real experience.

The honey smell coming off the nectar was awesome. When the time comes, I will be enjoying lots of sweet rewards that the ladies provide.

" I learned a lot today and will not make the same mistakes again. At least the bees are happy despite my bungling around."

Don't worry, you'll find new mistakes to make every time you open your hive for many years to come! Thankfully, bees are very forgiving, although I think they are snickering at us behind our backs!