Default newbee need advise on potential mistake

I'll cut to the chase... I bought some gear today with it came approximately 60 or so 10 frame deeps and mediums. everything was neatly stacked indoors.... for the last 25 years. Being star struck by the nostalgia of the time machine I was in I went ahead and shook on the deal. I started by loading up the smaller items (smokers, uncapping knives stainless storage tanks, etc.) anyhoo, as i started loading the boxes into my truck it became evident that there was something not quite right. Most of the boxes had been stored with the frames and foundation which was severely degraded, well it was black and fell apart when I pulled the frame, It got worse the deeper I delved. I figured what the heck, could spend a little time sanitizing, washing you know,, a little elbow grease, afterall, all the wood ware is in decent condition. Sooooo being the newbee that I am and not having much local support (due to my own reclusive self) checked a few sites and it seemed taboo to use equipment in this condition. Would it be a much better service to the local bee community if I was to sacrifice this woodenware to the burnpile or would it be safe to refurbish since it has been out of service for so long. Is it possible for parasites and whatnot to incubate for this long? My intentions were to sell/give most of the woodenware away as I have no need for 10 frame hives at this time, or more hives at all for that matter so discarding would not be much of a loss. look forward to any input and sorry for the most likely rhetorical question.

Default Re: newbee need advise on potential mistake

Black as in weathered out or black as in totally degraded? Anything that is not sturdy enough to put inside a bee hive
    I would not use them. You have to make sure you bought gears that the bees can use to build out. If they are not clean
    then don't use them. Who knows what is on these black degraded frames from 25 years ago. Go with the new frames. I wouldn't
    use them for BBQ either.

Foulbrood will last for decades. I hope the metal ware was worth hauling away their garbage.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I would burn it. Frames are cheap and are not worth the time spent in sanitation.

Thanks all for your responses. I think the comment made by "americasbeekeeper" with regards to Foulbrood lasting for decades sums it up. Fortunately/unfortunately i only hauled off a few of the boxes with my first load yesterday. These will go directly to the burnpile. Now I need to figure out how to make good on my handshake deal with the seller, hopefully its just a Saturday at HIS house tending a burn pile. For the record the seller was NOT a beekeeper and I do not think he had any intentions of "unloading" a bunch of junk on an unsuspecting rookie. Again, thanks for the help.

Beepro thanks for the comment, the wood is in good shape including the frames, they seem to be much better quality wood and construction than any current frame I have now. The black I was referring to is the comb. And the smell is nasty, its a combination of rancid honey (whatever that would smell like) bees wax and rat piss (although there was no sign of rodents). Thought it might of been the surrounding area. Nope, back of my pickup still reaks with the stench. Too bad, the frames so far are all engraved with someones apiary or a manufacture. As I mentioned It was like stepping back in time. Too bad I was 20 years too late, although at 18 I had no interest in bee's unless birds were involved.

Treetrunk...by the way...welcome to beesource...greg

Quote Originally Posted by greg zechman View Post
    Treetrunk...by the way...welcome to beesource...greg
    Thanks!