Default What to do with bees

We decided to move our bees to a more open location by my pond. I had 3 hives in one spot, and 8 hives in another. We moved them at night on Saturday. I kept some bait hives out in those locations to try and catch a swarm (we caught 2 on this property last week). Now I have 1/2 or 3/4 of a package in one swarm trap and probably a full package in the other bait hive.

My question is should I try to put these hives on another weak hive or should I just buy two queens and try to add 2 new hives?

Default Re: What to do with bees

if you caught swarms wouldn't they already have queens?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    if you caught swarms wouldn't they already have queens?
    Yes if they are indeed swarms they would have queens. I set these "bait hives" out before I moved all of my hives to the new location (aproximately 100 yards away) I believe these bees are trying to return to the old location and when they see the "bait hive" they assume that is the orginial hive. That is why I am unsure if I should give them a queen and keep these hives as splits or try and add them to some of my weaker hives.

I wonder if you just took them near the hives and shook them out in front of them, then perhaps they'd find their old hive, or at least strengthen other hives??

If you shake them out and if its close enough they might keep trying to fly back.

Do you remember which hive was where? take one bee and put it at the entrance of the hive in the new location, if she is attracted or if they let her in like any other bee you will know try several bees and you should get the same results.

If its just a small amount I would make sure there is no queen and give them to a weaker hive. Would benefit a weaker hive more than the original.

Another way to tell, Allot of returning foragers will have pollen on their legs, swarms won't, not right away anyways.

Take 2 frames of open brood and [place one in each. Bet they make a queen.... feed them just to be sure.
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

I ended up adding a queen to each hive on Tuesday. They look good and hopefully will continue to grow.

I am just curious, But what ever happened to the 2 feet or 2mile rule. Have we discovered that it is not necessary?

I would try dumping them in front of one of the moved hives for a night or two. I'll bet they stay. I did this just a couple of days ago. After moving a hive, I put a box with drawn comb in place of the moved hive. The next evening at dark I shook the remaining bees in front of the moved hive. The next night there were no bees in the empty box.