Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my version of a Cleo Hogan Trap opinions please.

I have a trap out to do in a guys wall and I would like to try to get the queen, I have been researching the Cleo Hogan trap but didn't want to have to build a custom female piece on every trap out depending on angle of tree, wall, etc So instead of a wooden box I used 2 in PVC with a floor flange. On a flat wall it will be mounted as seen, if it's in a tree that is leaning, I can put a very small flexible piece of hose that will allow the connection between the box and the flange which should allow it to flex several degrees. For the cone portion of it, I decided to go right into the cap and it's hard to tell but it point up at over a 45 deg angle. Hopefully I can get the queen in the box and just slip the cap over the pipe and trapout the rest of the bees. I will be installing it on a guys wall this weekend, I will keep you posted of my progress.

What do you think so far?

Default Re: my version of a Cleo Hogan Trap opinions please.

I have thought of doing the same basic ideas. The other thought I have is to use two pipe of different sizes and side one into the other. Giving you some flex Ability.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    The other thought I have is to use two pipe of different sizes and side one into the other. Giving you some flex Ability.
    David
    This would be my choice as well. It would be much easier to build.

I would also consider having a PVC pipe as the front entrance to the box to resemble the opening that they would have recently learned to use...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Absolutely that will work. In all my presentations I say that you can use PVC pipe, rubber hose, any way to mate the two transitions together,

Just try to get the box as close to the feral brood nest as possible, so the queen has less distance to travel, so she will use the trap as a brood chamber.

I build mine out of wood solely because I have the scrap wood. There is nothing majic about wood tunnels.

cchoganjr

And for those of us who are not carpenters, there is Walter Kelly Swarm Harvester designed by Cleo C.Hogan. I bought mine for a tree removal and with Cleo's instructions and tutoring, successfully removed bees from the tree and got 2 colonies from it. A few months later I removed a colony from a cinder block wall, another colony. It works great for me! That and bait boxes are my preferred methods of getting bees as I don't have to worry about bees absconding, and very little labor on my part. Harvester paid for itself.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/#cat...3330&category=
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I saw those harvesters, I run all med and am starting a TBH so I just grabed a Med box I built, I know it will fill up faster on a trap out, but I can just as easily just super the trap or remove more frequently I'm not the best woodworker so that is why I went with the pvc design all you need is a box and a 2 in hole saw and a few fittings.

Good idea. It looks like vacuum cleaner hose would work or clothes dryer hose.

Say, what do you do about the comb, brood and honey after you trap out the bees?
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

I read that people let a strong hive rob it out by placing honey in the outside entrence to get them started. Then you can patch all holes and leave the comb.
    By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them

Yip once you get them all out brood and all after they've hatched and they call the new hive home all you have to do is disconnect and let them rob out their old home

It'll work. As long as you have brood and comb in the box already, the workers will be like "hey we got all this room over here, come check it out." She'll be there and the rest of the bees will follow. Might be a good idea to put some kind of queen excluder on the entrance part of the pipe, she might work her way back once the brood in the wall has hatched. Of course wait until you have spotted her in the trap. Good Luck, Awesome idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BackYardPhenomena View Post
    It'll work. As long as you have brood and comb in the box already, the workers will be like "hey we got all this room over here, come check it out." She'll be there and the rest of the bees will follow. Might be a good idea to put some kind of queen excluder on the entrance part of the pipe, she might work her way back once the brood in the wall has hatched. Of course wait until you have spotted her in the trap. Good Luck, Awesome idea.
    My understanding is that once you spot her in the trap OR start seeing new eggs that is when you put the cap on that has the funnell in it

Another thought... why not just make the cone a bee escape... so they cant go back in? If you did that the queen would go out and be traped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Gregory View Post
    Another thought... why not just make the cone a bee escape... so they cant go back in? If you did that the queen would go out and be traped out.
    .......um its got one look again at the cap at the end of the tunnell

Embarrassed Re: my version of a Cleo Hogan Trap opinions please.

Oh my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Gregory View Post
    According to Mr Hogan, the queen could not fit the small end of the cone so she would be Traped In.

"didn't want to have to build a custom female piece on every trap out depending on angle of tree, wall, etc"

If you carry a few 45's and 22-1/2's 'street' elbows (the kind that is female on one side and male on the other, you can easily make up any angle you want or need.

and why not go with a 4" toilet flange, and reduce it to 2 inches ? That would cover larger openings, like a split in a tree, without having to seal up so much

just sayin.............

I have used the toilet flange,, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Glaenzer View Post
    "didn't want to have to build a custom female piece on every trap out depending on angle of tree, wall, etc"

If you carry a few 45's and 22-1/2's 'street' elbows (the kind that is female on one side and male on the other, you can easily make up any angle you want or need.

and why not go with a 4" toilet flange, and reduce it to 2 inches ? That would cover larger openings, like a split in a tree, without having to seal up so much

just sayin.............
    That's exactly why I used the pvc you can also make any angle you need with a heat gun I used the floor flange because that is what I had

I had the same thought before I found this thread, but think I will use a couple of pieces of 4" pvc. With a 4" hole the first piece of pvc can slide in or out as needed. The second piece of pvc will have a funnel glued to it for an excluder and can be easily swapped out for the first piece when needed, without disturbing the mating to the hive. I thought I would use 4" so I could easily attach a short piece of dryer hose (opaque), which should make marrying the trap to the hive entrance a lot easier. I can put a flange or other type of end on the mating end of the hose depending upon whether or not the entrance is flat.

What do you all think?

In what percent of Hogan trapouts does the queen come out into the trapout box?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast