Default How to make feeder box top bar waterproof

I made a top bar feeder box but could not find hardboard near my school in Kenya. So I used thin plywood to make the sides of the feeder box. See pictures of the feeder box at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisu...in/photostream

I read I should make the feeder box waterproof with beeswax on the joints. I am supposed to put the beeswax on the outside I assume? Also do you guys think my sides will keep the sugar water in?

Otherwise I'll have to make an upside down jar feeder.

Am planning to tranfer the bees from the catcher box to the observation beehive in May when the school term starts again. Am now in the process of making my own protective gear.

Default Re: How to make feeder box top bar waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by Remichi View Post
    I made a top bar feeder box but could not find hardboard near my school in Kenya. So I used thin plywood to make the sides of the feeder box. See pictures of the feeder box at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisu...in/photostream

I read I should make the feeder box waterproof with beeswax on the joints. I am supposed to put the beeswax on the outside I assume? Also do you guys think my sides will keep the sugar water in?

Otherwise I'll have to make an upside down jar feeder.

Am planning to tranfer the bees from the catcher box to the observation beehive in May when the school term starts again. Am now in the process of making my own protective gear.
    I just finished a few miller top feeders. I used spar varnish.

Default Re: How to make feeder box top bar waterproof

> I am supposed to put the beeswax on the outside I assume

Normally the beeswax would go on the inside of the feeder box. Melt some wax and brush it on.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft