Default Honey Producers, Help. 1 Hive or 2? (NY specifically)

Question for experienced honey producers... I'm in NY so we have long winters to bear in mind.

I've been reading a lot and was curious about the technique of raising 2 hives through the season, and then pinching a queen and combining for the honey flow. In theory they can build up twice as fast, and be twice as strong going in to winter. I read that it's for places with no real spring flow, and that it gets you 2x as many bees for the fall flow.

My basic question is, do you get more surplus honey from 2 single deep hives, or from 1 double deep hive? Is this only appropriate for a small area of the country that has no spring flow?

My assumption is that in a double deep hive, there are much more bees than brood, so there would be more foraging and less feeding larvae - more surplus.

To me it seems like a waste of time/equipment. If my goal is 16 hives, and I run 32 single deeps.. I might as well just build some more boxes and run 32 full hives. More bees, more honey (and more trouble).

Default Re: Honey Producers, Help. 1 Hive or 2? (NY specifically)

I think the *theory* behind the method you mention would be that you'd have all the workers raised by both queens, now with only the brood of one; so you'd have 2 hives raising 1 batch of brood = 1/2 the "commitment level" to raising the brood @ the peak of honey gathering system, so a higher percentage of your worker bees could be employed in making honey.

Personally, I think a more effective solution would be to simply create a "swarm box" hive with no queen, or maybe just a "fake queen" (QMP strip) by pulling bees &/or frames of emerging brood to make a new, super-honey-collector hive. With no laying queen, the workers would then have 0 brood to rear, so they could theoretically put 100% of their work into gathering saleable honey for you, while your "donor" hives could still be gathering at least enough to get themselves through the winter in good health.

Alternately, you could cage a queen on one comb in a "super-honey-collector" hive with somewhat similar results, but I think that would end up being a higher maintenance method.

Default Re: Honey Producers, Help. 1 Hive or 2? (NY specifically)

Quote Originally Posted by DamSutt1986 View Post
    I read that it's for places with no real spring flow, and that it gets you 2x as many bees for the fall flow.

My basic question is, do you get more surplus honey from 2 single deep hives, or from 1 double deep hive? Is this only appropriate for a small area of the country that has no spring flow?

To me it seems like a waste of time/equipment. If my goal is 16 hives, and I run 32 single deeps.. I might as well just build some more boxes and run 32 full hives. More bees, more honey (and more trouble).
    we normally get a fine spring flow, if you want to have more bees for it, try going to 3 deeps, less work and more bees(and less trouble).
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon