Default Should I err on the side of patience?

Okay,so a couple of weeks ago I did a walk away split. I took 2-frames that had queen cells on them and placed them in a new hive. I went back in today and found the queen cells open and lots of larvae! On the weird side though..Some cells have one single egg. Some cells have between 3-6 eggs in them. I did not see the queen but I'm wondering since she's a new queen if she is just laying in a crazy,sporadic style right now until she get's it all figured out of if it's laying workers? The eggs are placed deep in the cells and not on the sides so maybe it is the queen? I added another super of mostly drawn frames for all of the new hatching that will take place and to give the (hopefully) fertilized queen lots of room to lay. I have an order in for a new queen but delivery won't be until mid-may. Any advice?

Default Re: Should I err on the side of patience?

If you wait about a week the cells will be capped and you'll know if you have a queen or a laying worker by how they look. I'd be patient. If it is a laying worker, you'll have difficulty simply introducing a new queen. Better to combine the LW hive with a strong hive that is queenright.

EDIT - started writing before your post appeared Bison, sorry for covering some of the same ground!

The timing of this doesn't quite work, there is something else going on.

Multiple eggs may indicate laying workers, but not always.

At this stage, my advise would be give them a frame containing eggs from your other hive, then a week later have a look and see what is happening to the eggs that have been laid multiple to a cell, ie, are they developing normally into worker larvae, are they drone larvae in worker cells, or are they gone altogether. Also check the frame of young larvae you added to see if there are queen cells. Then post up here what you found & we will have something to go on.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

It's likely that a new queen will lay multiples at first. If a queen hatched the day after you split, it could be mated and laying after two weeks, so the timing seems ok. You usually don't get laying workers in hives where uncapped brood is present. Don't get in a hurry to add space. Too much space too soon sets a hive back.