Default Supercedure already? What to do now?

This package was installed about five weeks ago. I inspected after a week and it was way behind the 3 other packages I installed on the same day. I found no brood but did find the queen (she looked 'small') Checked on this hive a week later (about two weeks ago) and saw open brood and eggs... Went back today, unable to find queen, no open brood, mix of capped brood and drone brood and 2 capped queen cells (and a couple cups).

Thanks

beesIMG_0006 by duxpix, on Flickr

beesIMG_0010 by duxpix, on Flickr

Default Re: Supercedure already? What to do now?

So it looks like the queen is unsatisfactory for some reason, colony is superseding. Best to let those queen cells hatch out. The virgin will fly , mate, come back and start laying. It will take a couple of weeks.
    Or you could buy a new known queen from a good breeder.

That first pic looks like a nice cell, i'd nuc that one separately and see what you get if you can, let the other ones hatch to requeen that current hive.

I'm completely new to this but I also have to agree. The girls apparantly feel the current queen isn't cutting it. Let them continue with their plan or introduce a new known strain queen.

i had the same thing happen to me last year. my new queen turned out to be much better than the package queen. the hive overwintered well and came out of the winter very strong and swarmed april17. the original hive is still busting with bees.

I would take one of those frames and put it in a nuc box.

I installed a package last April...by late June the colony superceded the queen. That hive is now my strongest. Sometimes it is best to just let nature take it's course.

On an unrelated subject, it looks like your bees are drawing out the comb nicely on your foundationless frames, however, to give it some support, you might want to consider running some wire.

I'm having the same problem. These bees probably have a fine queen. Take her out, and make a nuc with nurse bees,and brood from one of your good hive. Then kill everyone of the bees in this hive. Seal them off at night so that not even one drone escapes. These bees are are like mine, and their genes should be scorned from the earth!

My suspicion would be that your package with a virgin queen who did not breed until you hived her . In any event weather real or perceived by the workers she was not performing to their expectations. However it is rare that the queen would be gone. As the colony usually leaves her in the colony, the new virgin hatches and once bred begins laying. For a period the hive has two queens, eventually the nurse bee quit feeding the old queen and she dies. The only reason I am explaining this is because If she was a virgin when shipped, Now bred she may be a viable queen worthy of ruling a hive. If you can find her she may be a good candidate to head a split. A nuc from the large queen cell, on the one frame pictured. and a split if you have recourses available would be a nice benefit.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have one other package just starting out in a lang as well that now has (a little) emerging brood as well as mix of open and sealed brood on four or so partially drawn out frames (in addition to two new packages installed in top bar hives on the same date) so I don't think i really have the resources to pull of a split or a nuc. in any event, I won't be able to get back to the hive until Sunday...

So, I inspected this hive on 5/1 and all the queen cells were gone, i was unable to find a queen. I rechecked today, and found no brood, no eggs, and didn't see a queen, they do have lots of stores including capped syrup/honey.

thinking that something needed to be done, i added two frames containing open brood from the another hive... then came in to read that i shouldn't expect to see eggs for 20 days after seeing capped queen cells (9 more days from now).

Did I make a big mistake?

shouldn't hurt a thing dux. and you can check back in a week and see if there any new queen cells on those frames you introduced.

virgins don't alway make it back from their mating flights.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives