Thread: Frame Feeders

Question Frame Feeders

Hi, I am getting some frame feeders with the ladders and caps and I don't know if there is a downside to getting a bigger feeder or not , That is what they have in stock at Beemaid the Pro max 2 gallon frame feeder and the only things i see to be problematic with a larger feeder would be weight and spoilage of the feed .

I value any opinions here.

Thank you

Ben L
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: Frame Feeders

Go small, bought two from mann lake (don't remember the brand), yanked them w/in a couple months, kept finding SHB larvae doing the backstroke in 'em.

I switched all my frame feeders to mason jars through the migratory cover after fighting SHB, ants, and mold in the feeders last year. I don't have to open the hive to feed, just pull up beside the hive on the fourwheeler, pull one jar out, put the other one in, move to the next hive. If you do it at night with a black shirt on, they'll never know you were there. Mason jars are $9-$10 a dozen, much cheaper than frame feeders too. I run them through the dishwasher to sanitize them between feedings.
    Last edited by Blackwater Bees; 04-25-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: screwed up

I use the 1 gallon frame feeders. The smaller feeders are easier to get in and out of the hive. If there is too much syrup in the feeder some of the week hives can't empty it out before the syrup goes bad.

Up in Nova Scotia I don't imagine you have much of a SHB problem. The downside to a larger feeder is loosing frames in the brood box. I've used Mann Lake (with and without cap n ladder) Dadant, and Mother Lode. All are good feeders. Mann Lake's smallest is still larger then the one from Dadant. Mother Lode was the smallest. Mother Lode holds about .8 gallons, Mann Lake 1 gallon, and Dadant is in-between. I like the ability to get the feed inside the hive. My feeders stay in the hive year round. I also have a feeder in each box. However this reduces my brood boxes to 8 frames each. That means wintering a double is questionable in the north where I am. I'm moving to triples this year to overcome that.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

I'm a new beek as well, but I've been having great luck with the plastic yellow frame feeders from Brushy Mountain. The floats work great, which appears to be what others complain about with other feeders. I found that when filling them, to avoid having to take them in and out, I use a piece of pvc and a funnel to reach the bottom and as I pour I slowly draw the tube out. This allows the bees at the bottom to ride the float up vs drowning them. I installed two new nucs and they suck down a whole one in less than a week. Mine hold about a gallon of syrup.

Nick

I will be getting the mann lake 1 gallon feeders with cap and ladder , I decided to wait for the smaller ones , so I won't have to take out 2 frames . I realize I need clean side bars to do this , that's okay i try to keep them clean anyways.

Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I am with Blackwater Bees.... Frame feeders are too disruptive to the hive, requires too much time to replace, and takes the place of a frame in the hive, you can see exactly how fast they are taking the syrup, morning sun warms the jars for early feeding, no need to open hive to feed, no drowned bees, no problem with ants, wasps, yellow jackets etc . For me, the only way to feed.

Migratory covers are cheap to make, borrow a hole saw and cut the hole, any Mason size jar cap will work, just punch a few holes in the jar top. Easy and fast to pull an emptly jar and replace with a full jar.

cchoganjr