Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default My experiment with foundationless

Last Saturday, I decided to test the claim that bees will draw out foundationless frames faster than foundation frames. I really didn't know what I was doing, so I just heated some wax and painted two coats on the top bar of two plain old medium frames.

Here are the four day results:

file-11.jpg

file-13.jpg

Both of these are of the same frame. The other frame is being drawn out very nicely as well...not quite like this, but still strong.

These bees were a swarm I got from a town over. They were hived 2 weeks ago and are beasts.

Even caught a glimpse of her majesty:

file-12.jpg

I added another medium above them. In that I placed 5 foundationless frames with triangular strips for guides. Also, staggered between these I put 5 frames with foundation.

They also have a deep box on the bottom. They don't like it as much as the medium. I might remove it soon. I'm switching to all mediums anyway.
    Try it. What could happen?

Default Re: My experiment with foundationless

It sure is incredible. Thanks for the pics. I am going to give this a try, after I get some experience under my belt. I purchased frames with the rite-cell foundation from mannlake. I'm going to see how that goes, but am really liking the idea of comb honey and allowing the bees to go more natural. I just don't think I want to take on all of the wiring that seemed to be par for the course. But what you have here is wireless, right? No wires, no pins? Sorry, still learning

Awesome! I have to try this!

jmombo, if you go to mediums you don't have to wire them.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

excellent i am definetly trying it this yr

In one of the pics it appears there is fishing line in an X pattern through the frame. I use fishing line with foundationless to provide extra support. It's not necessary, but helps if the comb is not attached well on the sides and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by jmombo View Post
    No wires, no pins?
    To everything there is a season....

@Acebird, I have gone with all mediums. Definitely going to give this a try!
    @Mike Gillmore, the fishing line does sound helpful... but I am, admittedly, just too darn lazy for the extra step! I suppose that the biggest risk comes into play during the dog days of summer when the wax is most soft.

Yes, in the heat of the summer you should use caution when handling the frames. If the comb is not attached well on the sides and bottom, and the summer heat has the wax softened up, don't hold the frame parallel to the ground when inspecting or the whole comb could break off and fall right out of the frame. I learned this the hard way. The frame must be held perpendicular to the ground at all times.
    To everything there is a season....

Which is why people use wire.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I've really enjoyed my foundationless hives so far. Of course, I've been lucky and my bees have drawn beautiful comb.

I have long hives that are a bit more than the volume of 3 deeps. A nuc I installed a little over a month ago has expanded to 14 frames, though all aren't completely filled out yet.

This frame was empty a couple weeks before this picture was taken:

nicebrood.jpg

Here's some comb several days old:

newcombmar29hive1.jpg

You can see the monolfilament fishing line I ran through the middle holes of the deep frame.

In one of the pics it appears there is fishing line in an X pattern through the frame.
    Quite a set of eyes you have, Mike. Yes, this frame is wired. Like I said, I really don't have any experience with this and don't know what to expect as far as extraction goes. My extractor has a heavy screen that the frames press up against when it's spinning. I'm hoping that will prevent blowout, I dunno. The other foundationless frames in this box are not wired. I'll just have to experiment to see.

Acebird, you say you don't need wire for mediums. Do you mean that they will hold up during extraction or just inspection?

I don't think you have seen Acebirds famous extractor LOL!

I'm sure he must just mean inspection. And even that would have to be careful.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Hmm, ok then. Guess I'll have to break out the fishing line from here on.

I've posted this before, but sounds like many reading this thread are going to be new to foundationless and might benefit from information on my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SPvuWvVkc

Foundationless works you just have to follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Acebird, you say you don't need wire for mediums. Do you mean that they will hold up during extraction or just inspection?
    Michael Bush has a very good page on foundationless frames:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

He says you can extract them, as long as the comb isn't brand new and is attached on all 4 sides.

I was going to say what is posted above. Mr Bush's web site states a lot about foundationless comb... the good, bad and ugly. I say ugly because somtimes your bees suck at building comb w/o foundation help.
    By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them

You can extract mediums with no cross bracing BUT ya have to spin VERY slowly and ya will get some blowouts and if there not trashed ya can reposition the comb and the bees will fix the rest.
    Im really not that serious

Which is why people use wire LOL

Except for the time it takes during assembly, just wondering if there is one good reason to NOT use wire?

I find wires to be a major PITA in the extracting room and are like so many needles when trying to get them out of broken combs.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Except for the time it takes during assembly, just wondering if there is one good reason to NOT use wire?[/QUOTE]

Well, in the past I wired thousands of frames. This was a task task that I never enjoyed.

So I have tried not wiring and no foundation for the last 3 years. It sure is a lot easier prep; however, I've found that the bees raise huge numbers of drones in foundationless frames. Also I need to keep working the new frames in between combs already built to prevent them from 'doing their own thing', shall we say.

For me the more frequent inspections weren't too bad due to the fact that I have also been doing battle against mites AND the d@$!##d hive beetles.

FWIW, I think the index fingers have gotten bigger as I have often used them to smash the beetles that I have encountered on the top bars and hive cover.

Also, many combs get destroyed when I extract. Often the combs just fall out of the frames when turned sideways. The honey is there and needs to be harvested; however, many of them are not attached at the sides and bottom and therein lies the problem with extracting foundationless combs.

I have also leanred that honey squeezed from the combs is superior in quality to extracted honey. I am quite sure that this is the case.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast