Hybrid View

Default new nuc with queen cells already?

After a prior post about getting a Carn queen and seeing her accepted I noticed today 5 finger like horizontal protrusions on the bottom of one frame. Definitely bigger then drone comb so they must be queen cells?

Default Re: new nuc with queen cells already?

Odd to see them sticking out horizontally, queen cells *usually* hang vertically, but if they have a surface texture like peanut shells, then that's definitely what they are.

Anywise, if you still have fresh, unhatched, eggs in the hive, then you can probably safely remove this set of Q cells, or you can leave them at let the bees do as bees do. Personally, I vote for letting the bees handle their own business in most cases, but if you're really attached to that queen, then as long as there are unhatched eggs, removing Q cells isn't too likely to leave the hive desperately queenless in any case; if something happens/happened to your queen, they'll just make more. That said, never EVER remove queen cells from a hive that doesn't have any unhatched eggs, unless you intend to make a desperately queenless (temporarily) hive of them.

Default Re: new nuc with queen cells already?

They're actually smooth which is why I'm unsure what they are.