Default Just when you thought u lost your $30 queen

So I got some Carn queens from Betterbee and I was trying to split my russian/carn hive. I heard that Russians may not take kindly to a new queen so I bought some of these to help out.

274RequeeningFrame2.jpg

Sure enough 1st time I put the shipping cage in I notice it's to far. So when jimmying it out I crack the part of the queen box that holds on to the screen. Who flies out... yup the queen. There she is circle around me mocking me about her freedom. I tried to follow her while it's getting dark and she's gone. I look on the lawn I look on some tree limbs nothing. Then I think to myself maybe because I had her in the nuc already with her shipping cage attached to a paperclip maybe she went home?? I check the frames one by one no red dot. Then just as I'm closing the box she climbs out!!! So I shoo her back in. SUCCESS!

Now I'm excited and thinking she's accepted. OH NO down below a mound of bees appears and they're balling her I think it's called? I managed to finally scoop her up and get her into the large requeening cage. Hopefully her scent will also get them to feed her thought the screening??? Least I didn't lose her and hopefully they'll be calm tomorrow?

Default Re: Just when you thought u lost your $30 queen

Next time use the mini plastic cage to release her. Better to manage than a big cage.

That's awesome. Glad she came home for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Next time use the mini plastic cage to release her. Better to manage than a big cage.
    The big one also sits like a frame and lets her got the back and forth spreading her pheromones too. I figure with the hard introduction rate I hear bout Russians it might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    That's awesome. Glad she came home for ya.
    ME TOO

Isn't it better to let them recognize they are queenless before you introduce the new queen or do I have it backwards?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Where did you get the introducer?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Isn't it better to let them recognize they are queenless before you introduce the new queen or do I have it backwards?
    Past 3 times they just flew back to the parent hive.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    Where did you get the introducer?
    Betterbee

I cheeked on the queen today and there's activity around her. How can I tell if it's feeding her or trying to rip her apart?

give it 2 more days...if she's still moving around normally, they're feeding her; if she's acting lethargic (or dead) then they never "warmed up" to her :/

(or, if she's super-valuable to you, you could place 2-3 frames of emerging brood, brushed free of all other bees, in a "super" above a queenright hive, with a screen separating it from the other hive, and release her directly onto those combs. If you give this new hive a cpl frames of scratched honey, they'll have all they need to get her "up and going" & you can introduce her to whatever hive you mean her for later, complete with a couple pounds of "bodyguards")

If they are forming a small circle around her then she is accepted.
    If they do not like her then on the initial release they will try to kill her. But sometimes they love
    her too much and will also balled on her. I call this "the Death of Love."

It depends on their level of acceptance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    Past 3 times they just flew back to the parent hive.
    I think "they" are just the foragers. Consider them old fools. If you swap positions they will go to the old position because it is hard to change the ways of older bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I checked on her this evening. Of course wearing my bee gloves I lost my grip and the requeen frame fell on top of the nuc but the bees on either side took the impact. After checking her she had all her legs and didn't seem phrase at all. She went right on eating I assume as there where a small group of bees clustered on either side of the frame. Also unlike prior attempts I had what seemed to be thousands of bees tonight. Prior to the queen intro they always kept leaving back to the mother hive and leaving only a handful behind. Tonight I couldn't even cost them unless I was insane there where just so many. Tomorrow I many take 2 frames and make another nuc with my remaining queen.

Today I checked again and happy to report she's been excepted so I released the other because the bees are exhibiting the same behavior with her too.

awesome, glad to hear it