Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A sad day - Russell Apiaries closing

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    You can be a very knowledgeable expert in a field and a very poor businessman. The 2 are not the same. A good scientist is generally poor with people skills and money management otherwise they would be rich and relaxing not sweating and working long hours!
    So, what was Jeff Skilling... a very knowledgeable "expert in a field" or a "very poor businessman"? It looks much more simple to me. The bee business is all according to a calendar schedule with up-front payments (a perfect storm). Take a bunch of orders you cannot fill due to (being kind here) unforeseen tragic circumstances out of your control and then, all of a sudden, you get in the rears and try to "make it up" as you go because you already spent all the order money. Situation looked more like a legacy built by a father, passed on to a son which maybe had much more theoretical knowledge than any hands-on execution skills or, in the end, scruples. I suppose it was all about selling the "sizzle", but when it came time to "where's the beef"....

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    You can be a very knowledgeable expert in a field and a very poor businessman. The 2 are not the same. A good scientist is generally poor with people skills and money management otherwise they would be rich and relaxing not sweating and working long hours!
    A lot of truth in that statement. And I personally know two highly paid professionals, very clever in their fields, who have lousy business skills. IMO they only survive at all because the large incomes they generate are sufficient to make up for their other shortcomings.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    i have no specific knowlidge of this situation and i am makeing no accusations. but a lot of times when a small bussiness goes downhill into a crazy fall there is more to it. often substance abuse, drugs, alcohol, out of control gambleing or mental illness is involved. instead of being mad perhaps we should have a learning experience. also let us all not try to get ourselves in this situation. if things start to go downhill seek help fast. all this bad stuff is not an excuse.
    So true. Thank you for bringing this up because many people don't think about the issues that you have mentioned;

The alligations are not false.. I was one of the people who burned bridges and backed the liar. I lost all my bees waiting on his. I even lost 2 more queens because I waited to long with the constant promises I was getting my queens to just wait which never came . So in desperation to save my failing hives I bught 2 queens late in the season,I lost those queens too. I then get promised 2 nucs for all my problems.. They are not coming it was aranged with the Missouri RA and after having my calls ignored I called off another number got through and got told I was not getting them until he got paid. You do not file bankrupsty on a few unsent orders.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaBees View Post
    Vance, I got my money but, I do feel sorry for those who did not.
    There is nothing sad about a "ConMans" game being over.
    I never got my money nor the bees because I supported him and believed his lies. I felt people were being too rough on him, when in fact he victimized me one of the few who tried to be on his side. He is a bad person , I have no money and no bees because I tried to take sides with the underdog which in fact was not an underdog but a criminal conman.

Quote Originally Posted by beeG View Post
    I never got my money nor the bees because I supported him and believed his lies. I felt people were being too rough on him, when in fact he victimized me one of the few who tried to be on his side. He is a bad person , I have no money and no bees because I tried to take sides with the underdog which in fact was not an underdog but a criminal conman.
    Very knowledgeable "expert in a field" in how to ripoff people using paypal. His buddy at http://russellapiariesga.webs.com/ is still open for ripoffs if you want a first hand lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Just goes to prove that like P. T. Barnum said, there's one born every minute.

Rusty

Can someone perhaps point me toward a thread where the whole of this story is explained? Or perhaps shoot me a nice thorough PM? I know less than nothing about this...issue, and the little bits and pieces people are throwing out on this thread are both inadequate and too tantalizing to ignore.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by melliferal View Post
    Can someone perhaps point me toward a thread where the whole of this story is explained?
    Not being rude, but nope. Speaking for myself and a few others, we're just glad it's all over with. There isnt a specific one link which describes what all has happened but several different posts not only on this site but another as well. Just be glad that you werent a part of it as many people are still without any bees and their money. That whole saga had a long painful death and more than a few friendships were damaged as a result of it. Feel free to do a search..I think one link in consumer reports is well over 20 pages long, but it is one of those 'you would just have to have been there' deals which I am glad to see met its demise.

Here's a tread that talks about it. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...piaries-Update
    Here's another one. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-to-raise-bees

If you will search russell apiary you will get more reading than you can do in one day. It is quite a story.

Wow, thanks. What a nightmare - sorry for you guys that had to go through it and I can understand why you're glad to have moved past it.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12