Sad Best Response to a Dropped Frame

Hey Everyone,

My package has been hived for 2 weeks now and everything is looking great. However, during inspection today I rested a frame full of bees (I don't remember seeing the queen on it) next to the hive and it fell off onto the ground. The comb and foundation fell out a little but I got it back in for the most part. However there were a few clumps of bees on the ground that upon brushing gently most got up and flew back into the hive. I searched the ground for the queen to confirm she wasn't there and then closed up the hive (But I'm still nervous!).

Is this what I should have done or did I miss something important? Should I open the hive on Sunday to check for new eggs or should I just wait a week?

Thanks for all your help!

Default Re: Best Response to a Dropped Frame

When in doubt, wait a week. At that point most existing eggs will be capped, so if you see uncapped brood or eggs you'll know the queen is fine.

If you just can't wait, open it and look for the queen. She's easier to spot than newly laid eggs.

Yep, I would be nervous too if I did that.
    I think they are fine on this inspection. If they lose a queen then they will make a new one for you.
    Next time on a hive inspection, starting from the edge put the first frame flat on your other frames.
    A 10 frame bee hive will have enough space for a flat frame to lay on top. Then switch position to the other side
    when you reach the 4th frame. Sometime I will stack 2 frames flat on the hive for more room to work on.
    Be careful not to crush the bees when you stack them.

Big commercial outfits don't worry about one hive but us hobbyist sweat bullets. I always bring an empty box to put frames in because if the queen falls off on the lid at least I got a chance of getting her back in the hive. If she is on the ground I will probably step on her before I find her.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Agree with Ace there, I always bring a spare bottom board (screened in my case) and an extra box to put a frame or 2 in if I have to remove any for inspecting.

Instead of brushing around the ground for bees and/or the queen simply lay the frame on the ground over them. They'll climb back onto it and you can then replace it into the hive. Hey, it happens. These are nice.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HD-650&Store_Code=mannlake

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I always bring an empty box to put frames in because if the queen falls off on the lid at least I got a chance.
    Work slow and pay attention
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

When I was younger I used to water ski and taking off from a dock or out of the water on one sky was nearly impossible until you first do it. The it is a piece of cake. I suspect finding a queen in the grass is the same.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

if you had wax covered plastic foundation,, it woul NOT have fallen out,, oops,,

JoeD...I agree with southfork in regards to the bees crawling back onto the frame. Check the grass tomorrow. If the queen is out there, she will be protected by a nice ball of bees. If so, be more precise than a bee brush, and move through the cluster and pick her up. Put her back in, and hope for the best. Hopefully, you will go out today, and there won't be a single bee to be seen on the ground.

I also encourage you, like many others, to always have an empty hive box. I bring the empty box to the hives with me, and remove the first and sometimes second outer frames, place them in the box for safe keeping, and proceed with my inspection. Makes a world of difference to know the frames (and bees) are safe from my fumbles.

Good luck with your bees!! Hope it all works out, and the queen remained safe in the hive.

I dropped a frame the other day. I just laid the frame over the cluster of bees on the ground... finished my inspection and a few minutes later, when I picked up the frame all of the bees had climbed back on to it.

Agree with southfork...buy the frame perch.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm gonna just hold off to next week and check. Dropping the frame was pure stupidity on my part but I guess that's how we have to learn some things. The frame was dropped on dirt (no grass) so I checked everywhere and didn't see the queen. +1 to the idea however on laying the frame over them to climb back on.

Thanks again!

If the queen had been on the dropped frame and if she fell off, she would be covered by a small ball of bees on the ground. Since your clumps of bees all disbursed then I doubt your queen was dropped.