Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: natrual beekeeping business

Do you know anyone who does what you stated as your opinion? As a means of making profit w/ Langstroth hives?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

i have seen some people online that have over 100 hives to work with and are building on that .
    thay do say they make money at it .
    i did read that one person has over 250 warre hives and is doing very well and the post i look at he told us he had no perblems with his bees for 6 years and had not lost a hive in all that time .
    he was in the EU but i can not remember where .
    i know some one that has 4 perone hives and some warre hive they are building more perone hive they say they are great but very very big and form what i read you can get a lot of honey from them but only after 3 or 4 years .
    they are that big you have to give the bees 3 or 4 years to build the hive before you get any honey .
    have you ever seen a perone hive ?
    hope to talk soon
    all the best Bill

Is there something special about a particular type of hive which will effect the colony which lives in it, making that colony perform differently than another type of hive?

Hasn't lost one colony in 6 years? Skeptical. That's better than the average pre-varroa days.

you make a profit the same way you do with any other hive .
    you can stack them if you take the roof off and put a transport roof on until you get to where you are going .
    why would a warre be hard to use to pollination the bees come and go in the same way as other hives ?
    please let me know your other questions .
    thanks bill

i can only say what i see onling .
    natural hives are better for the bees .
    commercial / langstroth / wbc and the others are all about just taking honey
    natural hives are about the bees .
    that may be why he did not lose any hives
    i hope that is right then the more of us that use natural hive the more bees we will have .

I could see making money with a warre. First to harvest the honey, you will destroy the combs. Then letting the bees clean out the comb that was harvested from, you could use the wax for candles, cosmetics, or even your own foundation to sell ( since it is natural and you have a mill). I see potential for the warre hive owners.

I guess it is possible that if you keep bees and don't do anything w/ them, then they will swarm when they want to and you may not notice when a colony has died.

Six years w/out any colony mortality doesn't happen in Nature. That's why I am skeptical about his claim. Could be, but I doubt it. Not that it really matters.

"natural hives are better for the bees"? How so? Wouldn't it more likely be the way those so called "natural hives" are managed or not managed?

Any hive type or management style can be profitable. It's all about how well you manage the Business of beekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I guess it is possible that if you keep bees and don't do anything w/ them, then they will swarm when they want to and you may not notice when a colony has died.

Six years w/out any colony mortality doesn't happen in Nature. That's why I am skeptical about his claim. Could be, but I doubt it. Not that it really matters.

"natural hives are better for the bees"? How so? Wouldn't it more likely be the way those so called "natural hives" are managed or not managed?
    If you let the hives be natural, the queen would be replaced every year with a new one from swarming. I could see a colony living that long, My parents had one in the top of a tree when I was younger for right at 7 years, That is where this passion first started when I was 8. I like this quote from a well known beek on here, "bees need beekeepers like fish need bicycles".

I think there is more money to be made in selling bees than honey. That would be much more profitable with Langstroth hives so you could sell nucs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I think there is more money to be made in selling bees than honey. That would be much more profitable with Langstroth hives so you could sell nucs.
    Seems like it would be more fun, too. And there never seems to be a glut of nucs. Don't most of the folks who sell nucs sell out every year?

as far as I have seen, especially if they are priced right

Nucs sell very easily, particularly in a coupla weeks when the newbees with their package bees start to have problems....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by R Dewhurst View Post
    I like this quote from a well known beek on here, "bees need beekeepers like fish need bicycles".
    And yet you own bees? Why? Is that what "natural beekeeping" is? Having bees and doing nothing w/ them other than putting them ina box in your back yard?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    And yet you own bees? Why? Is that what "natural beekeeping" is? Having bees and doing nothing w/ them other than putting them ina box in your back yard?
    I think if you want to be literal about it, there is no such thing as completely natural beekeeping, unless you define beekeeping as "not cutting down that bee tree in my back yard."

But in my admittedly inexperienced opinion, bees are wild animals. The less you stress a colony (by forcing it to do unnatural things) the better for the health of the bees. Zoo animals, for example, do better in naturalized setting like fake savannahs than they do in cages no matter how nice the cages are.

As an example of an unnatural thing, how about feeding syrup? I did it this spring, but I stopped as soon as there was a good nectar flow, and I hope to mostly avoid it in the future.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's my personal philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by natural bee bill View Post
    sorry my spelling may not be up to what you want but until 4 years ago i was not able to read or write so i think i'am doing fine.
    What about your business background? What is that like?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12