Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Newly build hex hive

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    >>> This one cost me a little less than $60 total, including frames, and two winter evenings in the shed.
    If you have heat, that time in the shed is a bonus not a cost.

The natural shape of a hive (based on top bar bee observation) is a short fat football shape. Hex is a more natural shape than TBH. As a stationary garden hive (read many TBHs) it makes much sense.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Progress:
    and yes, tomorrow I will scrape off the Gorilla glue....I used Titebond III and pneumatic finish nails on the top prototype box and found that the Tightbond did not stick to the mitered end grains nor the 2" nails give enough shear, so I went to Gorilla Glue and small head 1 5/8" composite lumber screws for the boxes and GG and finish nails for the handles. Should have plenty of shear now.

How odd frank.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    It was designed to be bear proof and as heavy as heck! As I recall each stackable hex section had a collar built into the back of it that was designed to slip over the top of a 4x4 (or 6x6?) post that was cemented into the ground. The lumber used was really thick and the owner claimed that a bear couldn't get into it.
    Hmmm, have not seen many bears but sure have seen what they can do. Especially grizs, have seen those guys on video tear up some stuff that was well made. Would love to hear of the results of it against a few bear.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Progress:
    and yes, tomorrow I will scrape off the Gorilla glue....I used Titebond III and pneumatic finish nails on the top prototype box and found that the Tightbond did not stick to the mitered end grains nor the 2" nails give enough shear, so I went to Gorilla Glue and small head 1 5/8" composite lumber screws for the boxes and GG and finish nails for the handles. Should have plenty of shear now.

2 1/2" torque head deck screws and Titebond II for me for every bee related thing I build. That is largely because my dad gave me a 25 pound bucket of these screws!
    Last edited by Barry; 02-26-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: do not include images in quote
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post

There's prior art dating back to at least 1679...

Beautiful
    But I would think that the 1679 original has precedent.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-26-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: quoting

Anyone have the measurements to make the hexagon hive as Cub has pictured? Wanting to experiment with building a hive and I like the hexagon looks.... just looking for starting measurements... Thanks for any assistance.

Andrew Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Anyone have the measurements to make the hexagon hive as Cub has pictured? Wanting to experiment with building a hive and I like the hexagon looks.... just looking for starting measurements... Thanks for any assistance.Andrew Miller
    Mine holds seven lang frames and three of different lengths on each side. The only important dimension was the length of each side, which I would have to measure to be sure. Here are photos:

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/odf...?sort=2&page=1

odfrank,
    are you using standard lang boxed frames or just topbars? I see your mention of langs above but photos look like just bars.

Do you run your full frames in alignment or crossed between hive bodies?

It is the detail of the short frames that baffle me.

Does anybody do the short frames at a 90 with the free end off a bar? Similar to the half frame /full frame nucs?
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Seven Lang frames. Fixed short frames. You will be able to remove the short combs during extraction when lang frames are out.

Plans and measurements attached. Let me know if there is any additional information needed.

Notes: This could easily be all deeps or a combo of medium and deep, just by changing the height of the boxes. The center of the box holds seven normal frames, and the outside angles have to be custom made. Also, I used oak, because there was a pile of it in my shop that was free. Pine or poplar is a much better choice, because of weight. The screws are 2" torque head decking screws, and pre-drilling with a counterset bit is a must.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Thanks a bunch John, my wife is a happy camper... or was it I am a happy camper because she likes the hexagon hive...hmmm

I'd take you up on your offer but we are going to do cedar... still debating on solid bottom or screened bottom board...

Thanks again.

Andrew Miller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123