Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Newly build hex hive

Cub, call it a hexagon hive.

RandySue, AFAIK, you can't keep people from building something that matches your design. Selling them, yes.
    Regards, Barry

[QUOTE=RandySue;1018506]Hello, I just noticed these posts and had to chime in here.

Does your hive take standard Langstroth frames or are they a custom size?

Sorry, Barry. I found that statement to be civil and true. Since you are now paying attention to this, please edit the title to 'Built,' rather than 'Build.' It's been bothering me.

OD-It takes 7 mediums in the center, and slanted top bars on the outsides. I had some bees in it, but transferred them to a Lang, so it could be moved easier (it's solid oak). The pink wonder is getting bees again in the spring, and will be relocated permanently to my parent's front yard.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Big Grin Re: Newly build hex hive

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Sorry, Barry. I found that statement to be civil and true. I had some bees in it, but transferred them to a Lang, so it could be moved easier (it's solid oak). The pink wonder is getting bees again in the spring, and will be relocated permanently to my parent's front yard.
    That's it! The Pink Wonder

OK, the bad boy that I am, I got so inspired when I heard I could do some patent busting I got going on my hexagon hive. Now to figure out a non infringing name.
    Jollyollie's HexPlex Palace
    Uncle Ollie's Sexy Hexy Hive
    The Not An Octagon Hive
    Any other suggestions? They are a lot of work especially with bowed rough lumber fence boards. Three supers done, a few hundred hours more to go.

>you can't keep people from building something that matches your design. Selling them, yes.

How different do they have to be to not on infringe on the patent? It looks like RandySue's uses a small frame. Mine uses a Lang frame. I do not want all those entrances, and can make different handles. Will that be enough so I don't go to jail? I am going to have to charge a heck of a lot more than $450. I feel the big bucks coming in.

I don't claim to be a lawyer. Where's Specialkayme? I thought this was his area of knowledge.

You might do better putting glass in those boxes and selling them as bathroom windows.
    Regards, Barry

I could be mistaken, but I believe that SpecialKayme is primarily a bankruptcy attorney.

Let's hope Ollie does not require that service.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Hecks Hive then. lol
    All you need to do is change the build slightly such as a different shaped entrance than the other hive. Thus, no patent infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySue View Post
    So nice job on the hive and if you want to continue making more, please contact me to work something out.

Thanks!
    Randy Sue Collins
    www.hexhive.org
    Welcome to the forum...

It would be very difficult to defend your patent claim:

Claims
    CLAIM I claim the ornamental design for my hex bee hive, as shown and described.
    Your line drawings for your patent depict the following hive with the rectangular entrances and closures.

... and your website shows another "ornamental design"

There's prior art dating back to at least 1679...

I believe you have the right to defend your trademark but good luck with stopping anyone from selling a hexagonal beehive under any other name.

Apparently a Shaune Wilson registered "www.hexhive.com" in advance to your filing/registering "Hex Hive" so I don't know if you can stop him from using the term. I doubt if he would easily give up his Dot Com domain, but contact him, you might be able to "work something out".

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=D...RS=PN/D652,997
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

It all started with an idea to give this hive as a Christmas present, and some spare oak lumber.

OD-That looks better than mine. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    All frames the same size and all interchangeable looks appealing.
    Yeah, like a Langstrothj style hive, rectangular in shape not hex. Seems like doing things differently just to be different, not because it's better for the bees or beekeeper or easier to use.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

>>>Seems like doing things differently just to be different, not because it's better for the bees or beekeeper or easier to use.

I built it because my mom saw a photo of one online, while looking for a bee suit to give me for my birthday, and wanted one in the yard. She was planning on buying one for something like $600. This one cost me a little less than $60 total, including frames, and two winter evenings in the shed.

On a side note, my original plan was to use deeps for brood and mediums for the rest. In the sping, I plan on selling or trading all my deeps for mediums.

Hex shaped? Good luck w/ that.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Hex shaped? Good luck w/ that.
    Dang, Mark. No. All my other hives are normal Langs. I just built this one hex hive as a gift. Not to change the face of beekeeping, or to make a living at it.

Oh, thought this was your only one and that the hex fad was gonna become the new TBH fad.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Oh, thought this was your only one and that the hex fad was gonna become the new TBH fad.
    I built two TB hives as well, but just for fun, and to see if the bees could hack it in them up at my farm. This winter, I'd like to add 30-40 mediums to the build list.

Please be aware that the trademark registration "Top Bar Hive" has been abandoned and I suppose available for use.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...08:dgplur.2.11
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

The link in BC's post above seems to have a timeout built into it. Here is a screenshot of what the Trademark search for "Top Bar Hive" showed at the time of this post:

TopBar TM.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

I saw a section of a hex hive at a Minnesota Hobby beekeepers Asociation meeting a couple of years ago. It was designed to be bear proof and as heavy as heck! As I recall each stackable hex section had a collar built into the back of it that was designed to slip over the top of a 4x4 (or 6x6?) post that was cemented into the ground. The lumber used was really thick and the owner claimed that a bear couldn't get into it. The hive was left to manage itself and honey was robbed out in the fall. I have no pictures, and am aware of no patents.... It could be a good solution to stocking the woods for those with quickcrete, thick lumber, and a quirky nature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast