Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newly built hex hive

I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, but saw some photos of these online and decided to design and build my own. It takes all medium frames in the center, and custom slanted top bars in the diagonals. Each box is 31.7 liters in volume, with a top entrance only and SBB, which can be closed up. Hope you like it.

(My wife picked the color!)

---Should say 'Newly builT'---
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Default Re: Newly build hex hive

Is that hive wider at the top than it is at the bottom? Optical illusion? What makes it a Hex Hive? Not familiar w/ Hex Hives.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

reminds me of the hives they sell at thewarrestore

Could you take a 'top down' picture? Interesting.
    - Bruce
    I have one TBH and have yet to overwinter it. Don't do anything soley on my advice!

One of the few wife picked colors that almost works for me. Why do they think a bee hive should look like their bathroom?

That is pretty sharp. Post more pictures please I am interested in building one for fun.

Got any internal photos? Looks nice, but the color is unique.

Those "custom slanted top bars in the diagonals" or triangular areas on each side of the hexagon sound like an endless pain in the tush. Why not just wall off those areas, ... oh wait, then you would have a rectangular hive.

Beautiful Hive!!1

Can you post more pictures please. How does it look inside?

The hive body is not tapered or anything fancy like that. Just a six sided hive that uses normal frames in the middle where possible.

The diagonal top bars are a little troublesome, but I make all ten of each at a time (5 boxes and need 2 of the same size diagonal TB for each box), so once it's set up, they are easy to bang out.

Take a look at the photo attached. All of the sides are the same length, and it's easiest to cut all 30 of them at one time, so the saw doesn't need reset. After glueing and screwing with 2" deck screws, run them all around the router to get the rabbet.

As a side note, it will hold 8 normal mediums if they are really jammed in there, so I am considering shaving them down a bit as Mr. Michael Bush references on his website, so it holds 8 frames more comfortably. Also, the wood for this and the flashing for the roof was salvaged, so this whole setup was under $20. $40 more in med frames and it'll be a complete hive for under $60 total.

If anyone is interested, I can post the plans for this. They are in ACADD format, and can be easily changed over to .pdf for easy and zoomable viewing.

Thanks for looking.

so I'm assuming you would run this like a warre hive?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    so I'm assuming you would run this like a warre hive?
    Sir, since it takes mostly normal medium frames, the plan is to run it like a Lang. Honestly, I have never even been around bees before, and have 0 bees in any of my 5 hives yet. I have two bee trees to cut or trap out, a package ordered, and am picking up two nucs from a small local supplier. Hives are fun to build, and I have a large stock of planed oak that is not quite good enough for trim work.

So what happens w/ the space not occupied by frames?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    So what happens w/ the space not occupied by frames?
    This is from a google image search, because I'm at work and didn't take a photo with frames in my hive, but this it what the basic layout is like. For mine, I left no bee space between the angled top bars, and ripped them to 1 3/8" width. This allows me 4 top bars on each side, leaving the corner open enough for bees to travel through.

Interesting. So, four frames always have to be in the same place every time.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Interesting. So, four frames always have to be in the same place every time.

Yes, they have to be placed in the same position, but can be moved between supers for checkerboarding or other hive management. It does make me wish I had come across Michael Bush's site a bit sooner, though. All frames the same size and all interchangeable looks appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Yes, they have to be placed in the same position, but can be moved between supers for checkerboarding or other hive management. It does make me wish I had come across Michael Bush's site a bit sooner, though. All frames the same size and all interchangeable looks appealing.
    Here are my frames.

That is really kind of sweet it's like a hybrid Lang/ top bar/warre. With the top bars I would think they might draw all the way down to the next set of top bars so you might have to run a wire between your boxes like the warre guys do to detach comb

Hello, I just noticed these posts and had to chime in here. I'm sure you didn't realize that you are infringing on my patent and registered trademark by building these Hex Hives and actually calling them Hex Hives.

When I designed these, I was advised to get a patent so I could build and sell them which is what I did. I also own the registered trademark Hex Hive®. My lawyer reminded me that I now had to be the watchdog for people duplicating the design. Not my favorite task, however I am required by the rules of my patent to contact anyone building these and let them know they are in violation and also are definitely not allowed to sell them without an agreement between us.

So nice job on the hive and if you want to continue making more, please contact me to work something out.

Thanks!
    Randy Sue Collins
    www.hexhive.org

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, but saw some photos of these online and decided to design and build my own. It takes all medium frames in the center, and custom slanted top bars in the diagonals. Each box is 31.7 liters in volume, with a top entrance only and SBB, which can be closed up. Hope you like it.

(My wife picked the color!)

---Should say 'Newly builT'---

Cub, I guess you now have a newly built pink bathroom hive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast