Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Newly built hex hive

I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, but saw some photos of these online and decided to design and build my own. It takes all medium frames in the center, and custom slanted top bars in the diagonals. Each box is 31.7 liters in volume, with a top entrance only and SBB, which can be closed up. Hope you like it.

(My wife picked the color!)

---Should say 'Newly builT'---
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    "Get your picture with a bee beard instead if you want street cred." Vance G

Default Re: Newly build hex hive

Is that hive wider at the top than it is at the bottom? Optical illusion? What makes it a Hex Hive? Not familiar w/ Hex Hives.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

reminds me of the hives they sell at thewarrestore

Could you take a 'top down' picture? Interesting.
    - Bruce
    I have one TBH and have yet to overwinter it. Don't do anything soley on my advice!

One of the few wife picked colors that almost works for me. Why do they think a bee hive should look like their bathroom?

That is pretty sharp. Post more pictures please I am interested in building one for fun.

Got any internal photos? Looks nice, but the color is unique.

Those "custom slanted top bars in the diagonals" or triangular areas on each side of the hexagon sound like an endless pain in the tush. Why not just wall off those areas, ... oh wait, then you would have a rectangular hive.

Beautiful Hive!!1

Can you post more pictures please. How does it look inside?

The hive body is not tapered or anything fancy like that. Just a six sided hive that uses normal frames in the middle where possible.

The diagonal top bars are a little troublesome, but I make all ten of each at a time (5 boxes and need 2 of the same size diagonal TB for each box), so once it's set up, they are easy to bang out.

Take a look at the photo attached. All of the sides are the same length, and it's easiest to cut all 30 of them at one time, so the saw doesn't need reset. After glueing and screwing with 2" deck screws, run them all around the router to get the rabbet.

As a side note, it will hold 8 normal mediums if they are really jammed in there, so I am considering shaving them down a bit as Mr. Michael Bush references on his website, so it holds 8 frames more comfortably. Also, the wood for this and the flashing for the roof was salvaged, so this whole setup was under $20. $40 more in med frames and it'll be a complete hive for under $60 total.

If anyone is interested, I can post the plans for this. They are in ACADD format, and can be easily changed over to .pdf for easy and zoomable viewing.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, the bad boy that I am, I got so inspired when I heard I could do some patent busting I got going on my hexagon hive. Now to figure out a non infringing name.
    Jollyollie's HexPlex Palace
    Uncle Ollie's Sexy Hexy Hive
    The Not An Octagon Hive
    Any other suggestions? They are a lot of work especially with bowed rough lumber fence boards. Three supers done, a few hundred hours more to go.

Hello, I just noticed these posts and had to chime in here. I'm sure you didn't realize that you are infringing on my patent and registered trademark by building these Hex Hives and actually calling them Hex Hives.

When I designed these, I was advised to get a patent so I could build and sell them which is what I did. I also own the registered trademark Hex Hive®. My lawyer reminded me that I now had to be the watchdog for people duplicating the design. Not my favorite task, however I am required by the rules of my patent to contact anyone building these and let them know they are in violation and also are definitely not allowed to sell them without an agreement between us.

So nice job on the hive and if you want to continue making more, please contact me to work something out.

Thanks!
    Randy Sue Collins
    www.hexhive.org

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, but saw some photos of these online and decided to design and build my own. It takes all medium frames in the center, and custom slanted top bars in the diagonals. Each box is 31.7 liters in volume, with a top entrance only and SBB, which can be closed up. Hope you like it.

(My wife picked the color!)

---Should say 'Newly builT'---

[QUOTE=RandySue;1018506]Hello, I just noticed these posts and had to chime in here.

Does your hive take standard Langstroth frames or are they a custom size?

Progress:
    and yes, tomorrow I will scrape off the Gorilla glue....I used Titebond III and pneumatic finish nails on the top prototype box and found that the Tightbond did not stick to the mitered end grains nor the 2" nails give enough shear, so I went to Gorilla Glue and small head 1 5/8" composite lumber screws for the boxes and GG and finish nails for the handles. Should have plenty of shear now.

How odd frank.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Progress:
    and yes, tomorrow I will scrape off the Gorilla glue....I used Titebond III and pneumatic finish nails on the top prototype box and found that the Tightbond did not stick to the mitered end grains nor the 2" nails give enough shear, so I went to Gorilla Glue and small head 1 5/8" composite lumber screws for the boxes and GG and finish nails for the handles. Should have plenty of shear now.

2 1/2" torque head deck screws and Titebond II for me for every bee related thing I build. That is largely because my dad gave me a 25 pound bucket of these screws!
    Last edited by Barry; 02-26-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: do not include images in quote

Quote Originally Posted by RandySue View Post
    So nice job on the hive and if you want to continue making more, please contact me to work something out.

Thanks!
    Randy Sue Collins
    www.hexhive.org
    Welcome to the forum...

It would be very difficult to defend your patent claim:

Claims
    CLAIM I claim the ornamental design for my hex bee hive, as shown and described.
    Your line drawings for your patent depict the following hive with the rectangular entrances and closures.

... and your website shows another "ornamental design"

There's prior art dating back to at least 1679...

I believe you have the right to defend your trademark but good luck with stopping anyone from selling a hexagonal beehive under any other name.

Apparently a Shaune Wilson registered "www.hexhive.com" in advance to your filing/registering "Hex Hive" so I don't know if you can stop him from using the term. I doubt if he would easily give up his Dot Com domain, but contact him, you might be able to "work something out".

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=D...RS=PN/D652,997
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

It all started with an idea to give this hive as a Christmas present, and some spare oak lumber.

OD-That looks better than mine. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post

There's prior art dating back to at least 1679...

Beautiful
    But I would think that the 1679 original has precedent.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-26-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: quoting

Anyone have the measurements to make the hexagon hive as Cub has pictured? Wanting to experiment with building a hive and I like the hexagon looks.... just looking for starting measurements... Thanks for any assistance.

Andrew Miller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast